• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another OEM Fog Switch Thread

HQuakers

NAXJA Forum User
Did some extensive searching today but didn't find a definitive answer. I have a 97 without factory fogs. I have a factory fog switch hooked into the "dummy" plug behind the panel (the one with Orange, Blue, Purple, and Black wires).

Problem: Purple wire has no power. Checked with multimeter. Illumination from orange wire works.

Anyone have an idea why the purple wire has no power? I saw some people mention an "unmarked" fuse in the PDC. Any validity to this? I have a working relay in the Fog relay location (there's one marked for DRL? that's empty, however) but I don't see any fuses marked for fogs.

Thanks!

Check again for power with the headlamps on. Some States require that auxilary lighting isn't available without the headlamps on.

Check again for power with the headlamps on. Some States require that auxilary lighting isn't available without the headlamps on.

Thanks for the suggestion. No power in Purple wire whether headlights are on, off, engine on, off, key in acc position, off, etc.

If your 97-01 Cherokee did not leave the Jeep factory with fog lamps, portions of the fog lamp wire harness are not installed and the contacts for the Fog Light Relay are most often not present in the PDC.

Simply use a factory style switch to power a standard relay you install under the hood.

If your 97-01 is equipped with factory fog lamps, one of the mini fuses in the PDC is for the fog lamps.

Just to expand on what Tim said, the purple wire and the other wire actually dead end in the big bulkhead connector under the dash.

What I did on my jeep was to just repin the power and signal wires, I grabbed power off of the rear wiper switch pin 5 IIRC (only on with the ignition) and ran a wire out to the engine bay which triggers a relay.

If your 97-01 Cherokee did not leave the Jeep factory with fog lamps, portions of the fog lamp wire harness are not installed and the contacts for the Fog Light Relay are most often not present in the PDC.

Simply use a factory style switch to power a standard relay you install under the hood.

If your 97-01 is equipped with factory fog lamps, one of the mini fuses in the PDC is for the fog lamps.

Yes, I am aware. I see that the PDC doesn't have the harness for the 2nd relay. The switch right now is hooked into the relay on my Hella's. Stock fog switch has no power (except illumination).

Just to expand on what Tim said, the purple wire and the other wire actually dead end in the big bulkhead connector under the dash.

What I did on my jeep was to just repin the power and signal wires, I grabbed power off of the rear wiper switch pin 5 IIRC (only on with the ignition) and ran a wire out to the engine bay which triggers a relay.

Ahhh, so the Purple and Blue(?) wire dead end in the connector and aren't connected to anything. I cut the blue wire and ran that from the plug to the Hella relay I installed under the hood. The purple wire I will tap into 12V in the rear wiper switch (ign on). I hope the black wire is still grounded?

Thanks for the info on this. I knew the wiring wasn't present since mine didn't come with fogs from the factory, but I thought the purple wire behind the switch panel still had 12V going to it. Good to know.

Back