• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Dana 44 question

metalgearxj said:
there was a blurb on car and driver one day about how no one has proven ABS prevents crashes. i learned to drive with threshold braking which is what the ABS does for you. if you are a pedal-slammer, ABS would work well for you. no offense meant,that's how a lot of people will stop in a panic situation. for offroad i think it sucks, as it won't let you skid tires going downhill,which means you can pick up speed. from what i've read in my owners manual the jeep system can kick off in that sort of steep stop. haven't tried it out yet, but if it doesn't i'll be yankin' on the parking brake lever! give me good tires and good brakes and i can stop. oh, and i'll take the D44 too..........................

A couple of years ago I was driving fast on a country road when I realized that there was a stop sign obscured by a tree. I hit the brakes as I was getting close to the intersection, I knew I had it, there was traffic approaching on the other street, my right side wheels were on gravel, I hit the brakes and to my desbelief it stopped on time and straight.
That was the most obvious time it saved my bacon, other times on wet, snowy or icy streets, I was glad to feel the pedal vibrate.
Like I mentioned earlier, large aircraft have to have it. If it is inop, allowances have to be made when dispatching for the simple reason that nobody thinks that it doesn't work. I don't claim that it is all things to all people, but I think it applies to most. Insurance companies would raise the rates instead of lowering them. That alone should mean something.
YMMV

Back