• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Big Bear Run (9-23-12)

I'm in for this as well unless I blow my s@&t up by then!!

Dont blow it up. Ill see if i can make this. I know the rig is up for it but i dont know if my wallet is :p

Where would you guys camp if it's an overnight deal? Serrano is usually super full and the last time i went up Pineknot ( South side of the lake ) had openings but that was like 2 months in advance.

hoping for yellow post but we know how that goes...
that spot we ran across would be cool if it isnt too hot out

hoping for yellow post but we know how that goes...
that spot we ran across would be cool if it isnt too hot out

Yeah, that spot would be cool permitting you find it before anyone else. It be cool to take my tent trailer up if that was the case. Keeping the costs low would be ideal. Did you or Sean mark it on the GPS as to where it was? I kind of forgot. If that spot is available on a Friday someone should grab it and make it your own for the weekend. there is also another yellow post not too far from that one we found.

Yeah, that spot would be cool permitting you find it before anyone else. It be cool to take my tent trailer up if that was the case. Keeping the costs low would be ideal. Did you or Sean mark it on the GPS as to where it was? I kind of forgot. If that spot is available on a Friday someone should grab it and make it your own for the weekend. there is also another yellow post not too far from that one we found.
i can see if my friend will ride with me, he knows where most of the yellow post spots are.
i don't exactly remember where it was, no GPS, i thought it was just exiting holcomb, maybe a couple miles of fireroad from there? i thought i remembered doing some switchback fireroad and right when we got to the top there was that big corner and the site. we got pics of it, maybe someone more familiar with the area can ID it and help us out.

i need to keep costs down too, not interested in paying for a spot. i heard rumour you can camp anywhere up there as long as there's no fires, can anyone confirm? just as a backup plan if no yellow post sites are around.

If you want a YP Site on the Fawnskin side, you have to go up Thursday, preferably Thursday morning. Even then it's hit and miss. If you go on Friday, you can forget about finding one.

My favorite is YP33, off 3n12. YP5 is by there, too, but it has been closed for a long, long time.

I usually stay at Yellow Post off 3n14 in Big Pine Flats. But doesn't YP have a vehicle amount limit?
Also Big Pine Flats has a group site.

Post 4,5, 12, 31, & 33 are on the north trails with 5,31, & 33 being the most pratical for Jonh Bull but 4 & 12 are more central if you want to get Dish Pan and Deep Creek in too! I was up there yesterday Saturday and believe it or not it was not too crowded. I only ran across one group of about 5 Jeeps on JB, with scattered bikes and quads. The lake seem to have all the traffic and crowds as well the town too. The camp at Holcomb was very lite with campers. There appears to be a group camp 3n02 just north of 3n16 but I do not know what it's called. There was a group set up there wearing orange vest so I'm thinking they were duck hunters or something. The camp sits at the edge of a meadow.

Id like to make a weekend of it too. Im off that whole weekend. Havent been up there since the last Socal fest was held up there. Open to whatever type of camping. I really enjoyed Serrano camp ground...

Here what I could find about remote camping. It look like we can camp virtually anywhere as long as we are a 1/4 mile from any campground and a 200' from any main road, stream, hiking trail ect. Main thing is no fires. So as long as it is the type of conditions we have now, no one is having fires anyways. But all your food will be cold because ou won't be able to have a stove.

http://www.lakearrowhead.com/camping.html

Here what I could find about remote camping. It look like we can camp virtually anywhere as long as we are a 1/4 mile from any campground and a 200' from any main road, stream, hiking trail ect. Main thing is no fires. So as long as it is the type of conditions we have now, no one is having fires anyways. But all your food will be cold because ou won't be able to have a stove.

http://www.lakearrowhead.com/camping.html

Not if you make manifold burritos ;)

Back