• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another A/C problem thread...

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure if this is my mind playing tricks on me or what, but I swear my A/C actually works better when the Jeep is just sitting and idling....which is the exact opposite of what I would expect.

Here's a little history...

The system was completely inoperable at the beginning of last summer because it had developed a leak and I let it go way too long. So, I took it in to a local shop and had it evacuated, recharged and dyed to identify the source of the leak. After about two weeks, I returned to the shop and had one of the compressor lines replaced and it was again evac'ed, recharged and dyed. Once that was done it worked great for the first 15 minutes or so, then it started blowing hot and later went back to cold. So, I took it back a few days later to have it rechecked. I told the shop what it had done and I believe all they did was recharge it again, despite there being no evidence of a leak. Picked it up and it behaved exactly the same. Cool...hot...cool...hot...etc.

It was right around this time time that I determined the compressor was cutting out after the Jeep had been running for a while. I don't remeber if I took it back a fourth time to relay this info or not. The shop obviously hadn't run it for any length of time during my previous visits or they would have figured this out as well. So, based on guidance found here on NAXJA, I removed the one and only shim from the compressor clutch and bang, problem solved. It worked great for the rest of the summer. Wasn't quite as cold as I would have like it to be, but it was consistent and kept me comfortable. Also, during my troubleshooting I was testing the lower pressure switch operating and everything appeared to be fine there.

Flash forward to this summer and the system is getting weak again, but with different symptoms. Now it will just pump out marginally cool air. So, I'm pretty sure I have another leak that I need to have investigated and I'm betting that no evidence is found under the hood which will mean the leak is in the evaporator core. The compressor still stays engaged anytime the AC is turned on, so the clutch isn't a problem.

Now, as mentioned above, it actually seems like the system produces cooler/less humid air when I'm just sitting and idling. Once I get moving, it feels like the air heats up a few degrees and gets a tad more humid...which is odd because that is exactly the opposite of what it used to do when it was working properly. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, were you able to determine the cause?

In addition to that, I seem to get very little discharge from the exaporator core drain. I know it goes right into the frame rail though (need to reroute/extend that hose), so I doubt I'm seeing all of it. Hopefully, I can take a look at the evaporator to see if it's blocked up w/ debris and ensure the drain is clean this weekend. Might have a problem there, might not.

Anyway, I know I need to have it looked at, but I'm hoping to do as much troubleshooting as possible before I open my wallet. Does you guys have any advice as to other possible causes or things I can check before taking it in?

Thanks!

Same exact problem my Jeep is having!

I think I am just going to charge it every July to get me through the hot months of the year rather than pulling out and replacing the evaporator!

Back