• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC vs. Chrysler?

Rootehound

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my stolen '87 Cherokee Wagoneer with a '91 Briarwood (Nope, I don't have a thing for fake wood, it was just the best vehicle out of all the ones I looked at).

It's my 5th XJ, but except for a V6 I owned in the mid-eighties, it will be my first non-Renix XJ.

Is there anything peculiar to the HO 4.0's that I should be aware of?

Are there any problems with the Chrysler built XJs that were not problems with the AMC built ones?

My experience with XJ's is minimal; but I have a lot of experience with Chrysler vehicles.

The engine control electronics for Chrysler may be a little baffling at first, but if you take the time to learn the basics its pretty straight forward.

The Ignition Key on/off/on/off/on to get the Check Engine Light to blink out all the stored fault codes is a nice features of Chrysler vehicles, it works on my '95 XJ.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my '95 XJ is still pretty much a majority of AMC technology carried over by Chrysler, I think its that way for most XJ's. Its still AMC, just being managed and assemblied by chrysler. The engine control electronics and one axle option is just about the only exceptions to that.

The '97-'01 models may have more Chrysler Technology, but it was pretty muc a freshening of the body lines and new dash for the interior (a Chrysler Dash BTW). So I think the same pretty much applies.

Not that this is directly related, but you'll notice the maximum emission levels you will be allowed is a little less than what was allowed on your Renix XJ.

I own an 88 and a 97. They are like night and day. Mechanically speaking, they are similar, but subtly everything is different. Your 91 is MUCH more closely related to the renix generations, and the changes at that point centered around the switch to the HO, and it was still prior to the intro of the Chryco OBDI and OBDII, so you should not be too far into the twighlight zone trying to relate between the renix and the 91.

Correction: The 91 IS OBDI, but still not as far away from RENIX as the OBDII.... If the 91 stores fault codes, there's a big advantage over RENIX also. (Then again, if you are already familiar with the RENIX quirks, you might prefer them. LOL)

Last edited:
Let me quote Matt Currie here from another thread. He sums it up perfectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Currie
It took Chrysler a few years to de-ramblerize the XJ. I would consider the 88-90 transitional, still more AMC than Chrysler, despite some evolution and some parts takeover. As far as 4.0's go, this makes the 87 the crowning achievement of AMC. Considering that the 4.0/ AW4 combination was new that year, its durability and quality make it a pretty impressive first-year model. 91 marks the beginning of the Mopar fuel injection system, but even then it took a while before they changed over the seats and the steering column, and a few more (97) before they changed the body and interior significantly.

They all have their virtues. I think the AMC bodies seem to have been a little more resistant to rot, and a little better stamped out. My 95 is a rustbucket, and all the panels seem just a little wrinkly, despite its obviously hit-free life. The 87 looked better made, and although it rotted too, some parts, such as the rocker panels, didn't go nearly as quickly. The roof rot also seems worse on the later ones. My 95 has puddles on the floor all the time from various undetectable leaks, and has always had a cold draft under the dash that I have not been able to trace.

The AMC era paint had terrible clear coat problems, which seem to have disappeared some time in the 90's. My stepson's 93 never had this, nor does the 95.

The Mopar era AX15 5-speed is certainly an improvement over the Peugeot BA10 that AMC put in. I found both the Renix and Mopar injection systems well designed and relatively trouble free, but the Mopar has an improved crank position sensor, and the injectors don't leak so readily. The REnix era cooling system, although it works all right when it works, is a little harder to keep healthy, and the plastic pressure tank tends to crack. The Mopar OBDI is pretty handy. OBD II of course is handier still. Renix systems require a little more sleuthing sometimes to diagnose.

Wiring issues have been mentioned. The 87 had many connector and harness issues, and in general the later ones are a bit improved in that department, although all of my XJ's have had some problems with wiring, bad grounds, corroded light connectors, bad connectors, and in the case of the 93, a defective splice deep in the fuel injection harness that was a real PITA to track down. All XJ's have cheap wiring of absolutely minimal gauge, but they've improved some of the connectors over the years.

The 99 feels more solid and tight than the 95. The 95 seats were a definite step down from the 87, and the Mopar steering column sucks. The wiper switch has fewer intermittent settings, the horn buttons are never where you need them, and it's almost impossible to signal in a hurry without flicking the wipers to the wash position, whereupon they wipe the dry scratchy windshield 3 times. The previous Saginaw column was better. The 97-up column is better too.

Interior storage post 97 is awful. It was never very good, but on the 99 it's pathetic. The only thing they improved was the cupholders.

AMC era 4.0 engines seem not to have had the piston slap problems that plague the later ones. My 87 was quiet even after 200K miles. The 95 has slapped since I got it at 110K, but after another 150K it seems trivial.

The early 4.0's had overboosted power steering. Later ones have a little heavier feel. Renix era brakes were marginal, and although I've never had ABS, I hear that the ABS was particularly problematic, subject to various recalls and extra warranties. By 93, the brakes had gotten pretty strong. The brakes on the 95 and 99 are pretty powerful. All XJ rear brakes are crap, and the self adjusters a joke, but that's more a general complaint about American drum brakes. My 95 has gone over 260 thousand miles with the original drums and rotors, though!

Of course the main thing wrong with Chrysler and the XJ is that they stopped making them!

As J99XJ says, they're all XJ's and they're all good. I must take exception to one detail of his report regarding the SJ. It's true Kaiser designed it and AMC continued it with a new grille, but they also disembarrassed it of what might possibly be the worst engine ever made, certainly the worst ever put in a Jeep, and incidentally the only contribution Kaiser made to the Jeep engine line, since they kept the Willys designs or borrowed from AMC and GMC for all the others. I'm referring to the infamous "Tornado" OHC 6, which like some other historically bad engines (e.g. the Chevy Vega, the Ramber Aluminum V8, the Crosley Cobra come to mind) was a brilliant and innovative design which had a host of virtues, as long as you didn't actually use it.

AMC tech (except the engine hard parts themselves) stopped being used for 1991 on the XJ/MJ/YJ, and 1992 for the SJ. The engine control became ChryCo OBD-I for the XJ/MJ/YJ for 1991, and the SJ was just discontinued outright.

The AMC engines survived until:
V8-360 in the 1992 SJ (not replaced. Not to be confused with the ChryCo 360ci V8.)
I6-242 in the 2007 WK and TJ (last year) (replaced with the ChryCo 3.7L V6)
I4-246 in (I believe) the 2002 Dakota and TJ (replaced by the ChryCo/Benz 140ci I4)

The XJ, MJ, and YJ were produced by AMC to mid-1988 (August?) and then were produced to AMC specs by ChryCo until 1990. Some small changes were made (mainly wiring colours) for 1988.5-1989, and then the control system was changed entirely in 1991. The cylinder head and intake were also revised for 1991 (and again in 1996, then 1999/2000.)

Here is some more ripe info thanks to WIKI...

In 1991 Chrysler Corporation, having bought AMC, were the new owners of the Jeep brand. Chrysler redesigned the RENIX engine control computer and raised the intake ports approximately 1/8-inch (3.175 mm) for a better entry radius. Chrysler also enlarged the throttle body and redesigned the intake and exhaust manifolds for more efficiency, and the fuel injectors were once again replaced with higher flowing units. The camshaft profile was also changed. The net result of all these changes was an engine that made 190 hp (142 kW) and 225 ft·lbf (305 N·m) of torque. Badging on most Jeeps equipped with this engine read "4.0 Litre HIGH OUTPUT." The new cam profile combined with altered computer programming eliminated the need for an EGR valve and knock sensor, but made the engine more sensitive to alterations, especially where emissions are concerned.

Quoted from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Straight_6_engine#4.0

I don't have a thing for fake wood
Is there any chance you have the woodgrain dash surround? I'm looking for one for a project of mine, and if you have one, I could ship you a black one to replace it, and cash to pay for shipping of yours back to me. I'm not on NAXJA very often, so if you want to, e-mail me at [email protected] with NAXJA in the subject line.
Thanks,
Hawk
636 584 5181

I've got an 87 & a 95. My 87 is quieter inside & more solid in general, while the 95 is kind of a rattle trap, but the HO gets 5/6 mpg more than the Renix. It's probably because the 87 is a Laredo & the 95 is an old DNR SE, but I love my Renix Jeep. It has twice as many miles on it as the 95 but its my dd. It also has a d44 & full power.

I've got an 87 & a 95. My 87 is quieter inside & more solid in general, while the 95 is kind of a rattle trap, but the HO gets 5/6 mpg more than the Renix. It's probably because the 87 is a Laredo & the 95 is an old DNR SE, but I love my Renix Jeep. It has twice as many miles on it as the 95 but its my dd. It also has a d44 & full power.
Ditto on my 88 being more solid than my 97, but I would never say it's more quiet... Highway speeds are crazy loud in the 88, but it is the Limited with leather and power everything also. In the 88 I feel like I'm in a truck while the seats and the interior in general in the 97 make it more car-like. I love the 97s extra HP, and it would be my DD if I could get the darn thing to start!!! LOL! All in all, if I had to give one up, I'd be keeping my Renix!

Last edited:
i have an 88 and a 99.

the 88 is a laredo and has power EVERYTHING. i love it. when shes running right, shes one of the best cars iv ever had. made a few trips up and down the east coast with it and i wouldnt trade her for nothing.

the 99 is my offroad toy so it gets beat up alot. id like to do strokers but money is everything......

Back