• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aluminum Fenders/Flares

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make Aluminum fender flares or Fenders? I need some flares but don’t want to ad weight. I am considering fiberglass fenders but I could crack them on rocks l mostly wheel Tahoe National Forest.

I have not seen such a thing. I suspect you will have to get someone to fabricate them.

One word of warning--don't mount them directly to the sheet metal. Go look for images of rust behind the aluminum insert panels on a '57 Chevy Belair. Just add water and you too can have the same picture. You can mitigate this however. Space the aluminum from the body using 1/8" thick rubber and use stainless hardware. The rubber can be as simple as washers between the body and the aluminum panel

I have not seen such a thing. I suspect you will have to get someone to fabricate them.

One word of warning--don't mount them directly to the sheet metal. Go look for images of rust behind the aluminum insert panels on a '57 Chevy Belair. Just add water and you too can have the same picture. You can mitigate this however. Space the aluminum from the body using 1/8" thick rubber and use stainless hardware. The rubber can be as simple as washers between the body and the aluminum panel

the sheet metal become the sacrificial node?

Does anyone make Aluminum fender flares or Fenders? I need some flares but don’t want to ad weight. I am considering fiberglass fenders but I could crack them on rocks l mostly wheel Tahoe National Forest.

Fiberglass or plastic is way easier to repair than aluminum.

If you *know* you're gonna be scraping rocks go with steel. Steel vs alum flares will have a negligible weight difference and alum fenders, if you can find any, will be $$$$.

Back