• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aluminum coolant tank

bgred2

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody had any problems with the Macs aluminum coolant tank? I am considering purchasing one, but at 144.00 with shipping I want to be ABSOLUTELY certain of no surprises.

Thanks............

Jeepm@n said:
What would be the reason for going to an aluminum coolant tank?

sick of the plastic one leaking.hasta hasta

I'm sure it works fine but for the price, I'd spend a few dollars more and convert to an open system.

Saudade said:
I'm sure it works fine but for the price, I'd spend a few dollars more and convert to an open system.

Stick with your closed system.

Either buy the aluminum bottle, or try another plastic one. Make sure you get it from the dealer, or from a guy named Gerr on here.

I just got one from Gerr, and it has been the best thing i have done so far. The cap always stays tight, and i have no problems with it at all. Definetly better then any of the many replacements i have gotten. For the price, you cant beat it.

As i have said all over this board however, if this one doesnt do it for me, im going to get the Aluminum one... Use the search, youll find some threads about the aluminum tank from macs.

Also, make sure the cap isnt hitting your hood when you close it.

Muad'Dib said:
Stick with your closed system.

Either buy the aluminum bottle, or try another plastic one. Make sure you get it from the dealer, or from a guy named Gerr on here.

I just got one from Gerr, and it has been the best thing i have done so far. The cap always stays tight, and i have no problems with it at all. Definetly better then any of the many replacements i have gotten. For the price, you cant beat it.

As i have said all over this board however, if this one doesnt do it for me, im going to get the Aluminum one... Use the search, youll find some threads about the aluminum tank from macs.

Also, make sure the cap isnt hitting your hood when you close it.

x2 on gerrs bottle

I would go with the open cooling system swap and a new CSF 3 row HD rad... I swapped new OEM closed cooling bottles in twice and they always failed me.

I have the aluminum one and I love it, no problems at all and it will last as long as the Jeep does. Also for those that say get rid of the closed system you don't need to, a closed system is just fine. In fact if you look at most new cars they all have a closed cooling system. The only reason lots of XJ people switched to the open system was because they didn't feel like messing with their closed system to get it working properly or didn't know how. That Aluminum bottle will be the last one you ever buy, you will have to buy another plastic bottle in a year for $40 again. The closed system is worthless with a plastic bottle, none of the platic bottles last. I bought 5 plastic bottles in my XJ before I went to the aluminum one, some of those platic ones were $30 and some were $40. Add that up, if I bought 5 @ $30 = $150.​

Last edited:
mattbred said:
Only thing with an aluminum bottle is you can't see the coolant level..

Do what every good XJ owner should do and that is to check fluid levels everyday before cranking the beast up. Thats what I do and have done for the last two years since installing my re-manufactured motor.
My Mac's tank has never needed any fluid BTW. Had it for about 6 months and I, like those others that posted above me, got tired of changing plastic bottles. Permanent cure for the plastic non-sealing bottle.
Blue :)

Well, is there any place cheaper to get the aluminium bottle? I just ordered a plastic one from teamcherokee.com, and I'm going to see how long it lasts. My current one cracked and is just pissing coolant out like a water gun. $122 + shipping is a hell of a lot of money for a coolant tank..

mattbred said:
Well, is there any place cheaper to get the aluminium bottle? I just ordered a plastic one from teamcherokee.com, and I'm going to see how long it lasts. My current one cracked and is just pissing coolant out like a water gun. $122 + shipping is a hell of a lot of money for a coolant tank..
Think about it like this, you will spend alot more money in the long run with the cheap plastic bottles. You basically just threw money in the garbage buying that plastic bottle, the aluminum one will last forever. Now you are just money behind when you get tired of replacing the plastic bottles and buy that nice aluminum one. I don't believe anyone else makes them either. They are expensive but it will pay off.

jeepboy381 said:
Think about it like this, you will spend alot more money in the long run with the cheap plastic bottles. You basically just threw money in the garbage buying that plastic bottle, the aluminum one will last forever. Now you are just money behind when you get tired of replacing the plastic bottles and buy that nice aluminum one. I don't believe anyone else makes them either. They are expensive but it will pay off.

You have been warned not to waste money on cheap plastic toys.:flame:

jeepboy381 said:

Why? That's 150 dollars. The plastic one has lasted me for a year, and probably longer since it came with the jeep. It's not wasting my money, what's wasting money is spending 150 dollars on a bottle for a 1989 jeep. I could spend that on MORE engine mounts, etc. I'll see how long this lasts, and if it lasts a couple years, then I'd say it wasn't a waste of money.

If the price were to come down on that aluminium one, I'd buy it. But 150 dollars for a bottle?! You can buy radiators for that much.

Also meant to edit, not reply lol

Well I would put money on it that you replace the plastic bottle at least once a year. Mine wouldn't even last me a year but my Jeep was my daily driver. I don't know man, it is your money. I did the math and if I would have bought a aluminum one in the first place I would have been money ahead and had no failures. Also they don't cost $150, I believe it is $115. I work a few miles away from them so I didn't pay shipping.

If you think you are wasting money buying parts that actually work and won't strand you then you should probably sell your Jeep since it is a 89 and no longer worth good parts.:spin1: My 87 is still worth good parts! That sucks shipping is so much..

Back