• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Relocation ????

Comanchedude said:
I will take picks tomorrow in the daylight and email them to you, as for the fans you will see that info in the pictures basically the driver side fan is standard with A/C
and I just bolted a 1987 fan on the passenger side the lower fan brackets exists on both sides on the rad support and I use a universal thermo switch wired through relays ,its all really basic. I have not had any issues with overheating and most of the time on road the fans don’t run. Although In traffic they will, and always off road but temps stay 200 or below so it works well for me.
Another thing I did switch my cooling system to “open” and I run a good tranny cooler

Thanks for all the pics.

this requires a renix ac bracket and a simple arm w/ 2 holes in it about 2.5" apart

Image%28117%29.jpg

Image%28118%29.jpg

Image%28119%29.jpg

Image%28120%29.jpg

Image%28124%29.jpg

Looks promising so far, but what did you do for the bottom of the serp. belt, as far as routing? Got any pictures of the bottom of the motor so we can see how the belt is run?

ren said:
Looks promising so far, but what did you do for the bottom of the serp. belt, as far as routing? Got any pictures of the bottom of the motor so we can see how the belt is run?

That's part of why it's taking me so long - I've first got to get things fixed, get that 1990 cut to bits, and then get a couple of engine stands so I can work on them in open...

I don't like to skip details - once I get the bracketry worked out, then I can work out placement, and the be able to provide specs (and routing!) on the replacement belt. That's why my prototype cycles take so damn long...

5-90

tealcherokee said:
this requires a renix ac bracket and a simple arm w/ 2 holes in it about 2.5" apart

Image%28117%29.jpg

Image%28118%29.jpg

Image%28119%29.jpg

Image%28120%29.jpg

Image%28124%29.jpg

Nice job on that setup. Just so you know now that you have that alternator up there it shouldn't be hard to adapt a CS-144 alternator in place of that CS-130. The CS144 comes stock with 140amps and was used on the Caprice with 9C1 package, it's GM's big boy.

Actually, I was wondering if Tealcherokee had the pictures for the bottom of the motor, as My alt. is getting a schittzy on the ouptut, and the trip today has REALLY got it going nuts. (today's trip cost me BOTH bumpers, the rockers on both sides, 3 doors, one taillight, and the hatch won't stay closed UNLESS you slam it[stupid tree/mud/side hill on the trail]). Oh, yeah, the front skid is bent so bad that the sway bar is now stuck on the level, maybe up only.

everyone asks that.... i was welding brackets for the ecm, didnt want crap getting in

as far as the belt routing, its the exact same, stock is:

CAPS being ribbed side of the belt

CRANK, fan, ALT, AC, idler, waterpump, POWER STEERING, tensioner

new routing is

CRANK, fan, ALT, idler, waterpump, POWER STEERING, tensioner

you loose some wrap around the fan pully, but, it doesnt slip

i also needed a 75" belt (like 24" shorter)

my setup is renix alt, fan, idler, waterpump and balancer; HO PS and tensioner

Mines set up like Teals but I used a cut down factory breaket(mines an 89 4.0.) Aside from having to buy washers and a shorter belt, all bolts and nuts(used a bumper clip nut) came from the a/c and old alt location. No pics. Been running it for 1.5yrs with hood vent right over it...andy

Thank you for the "new" belt routing. I am going to the parts house tomorrow to get a new belt. Hopefully, this will not be too late to save my alt. from kicking it again. Anybody interested in the alt. brackets from a 4-banger?

ren said:
Thank you for the "new" belt routing. I am going to the parts house tomorrow to get a new belt. Hopefully, this will not be too late to save my alt. from kicking it again. Anybody interested in the alt. brackets from a 4-banger?

What do you want for them?

5-90

ren said:

make sure u measure.... 75" was for my custom app

Hey 5-90: how about $15+ shipping? And yes, all the pieces, in the same box, not seperate like UPS. (grin, remembering the days of hauling frieght and encountering this.) Maybe the bolts, too.

Donor is my '87 MJ, 2.5Ltr. TBI motor. It spun a rod bearing, so it is leaving, and I am thinking about tossing the 347 Stroker FoMoCo motor sitting in the shed (THAT otta jerk a few stroker chains. I am done with building my 4.9 Turbo stroker, and I want to try something a little different than another stupid "Hey, I gotta SBC".). Besides, the SBF weighs LESS than the 4.0 to start with AND makes pretty much stupid power as is. Hopefully, the new 3-core rad. will deal with the potenial heat issues.
I will price S&H in the morning.
Later,
Ren

Back