• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternative to Hood Vents

So is there an ideal place or location on the hood that will actually vent hot air?

Where most people mount the vents, which is around the middle of the hood or a little further back then that. At that spot, the air is just rushing over the hood. Then the louvers facing backwards will cause the air moving over the louvers to suck the air out.

The angle of that is made between the cowl and windshield is what causes the high pressure area right in front of the windshield. So putting vents in the hood is much more effective then using the cowl. Not only that, but at low speeds the heat can just rise out through the vents more efficiently then they ever would through the cowl.

I used a different approach, a good header wrap with a high temp coating did all kinds of good for my yeep lowered engine temps a bit definitely lowered under hood temps which is good because even though air box mfgrs say "cold air intake" if its not boxed off and pulling from outside its just a free flowing intake hot rodders know about the better scavenging effect nope they look cool but I don't need a louvered hood now

Anybody running vents toward the front of their hoods? I was thinking some round dimple die holes might be nice and also provide a little cool air near my intake.
I currently run some large cut outs near the rear of my hood and you can see the heat rising out of them at slow speeds, but even those du hot air into the vent intake.
One other note, if you are in a smog inspection state, don't mess with the lable on the drivers side!

Back