• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Almost time to say goodbye

Matthew Currie

NAXJA Member #760
Well, I've been around in one XJ forum or another since before NAXJA and even before the forum before that. Started in the old 4x4 forums. I don't remember many others from that period, except for RichP, who may well be the first of the first. But, as it happens, my last 99 XJ went away in 2012 after suffering a broken intake manifold at about 275 thousand miles, too rusty to put more money into. And the 95 which had been lurking for parts went away too, and (please have mercy) I bought an 06 Liberty, since decent low-mileage XJ's are getting so rare, and I needed something reliable and rust free. The only vehicle we could find that had the same seats as the old XJ, which my wife especially likes for her neck. As fate would have it, less than a month after I replaced the stick shift XJ, I had a nearly fatal accident, could not drive for several months, and my wife, who has bad knees and hates stick shifts, ended up using the new, automatic Liberty, which she has come to like a whole lot, and I must say it's been a good, reliable vehicle, with nearly zero maintenance in the period between about 95 and 150 thousand miles.

So here I am, XJ-less, and my NAXJA membership is coming up for expiration at the end of the month.

I've been mostly active on the OEM Tech board for the duration anyway, and I'll continue to keep an eye out there, but I think I'm going to have to let my membership lapse.

Of course, you never know what the future will bring. Maybe I'll find something irresistible in the XJ field again. Maybe someone will cough up a beautifully preserved one that just came in from a rust free zone. But for now, it looks as if I'll be becoming one of those dreaded non-members.

So good luck to y'all, and keep the faith.

Well, I've been around in one XJ forum or another since before NAXJA and even before the forum before that. Started in the old 4x4 forums. I don't remember many others from that period, except for RichP, who may well be the first of the first. But, as it happens, my last 99 XJ went away in 2012 after suffering a broken intake manifold at about 275 thousand miles, too rusty to put more money into. And the 95 which had been lurking for parts went away too, and (please have mercy) I bought an 06 Liberty, since decent low-mileage XJ's are getting so rare, and I needed something reliable and rust free. The only vehicle we could find that had the same seats as the old XJ, which my wife especially likes for her neck. As fate would have it, less than a month after I replaced the stick shift XJ, I had a nearly fatal accident, could not drive for several months, and my wife, who has bad knees and hates stick shifts, ended up using the new, automatic Liberty, which she has come to like a whole lot, and I must say it's been a good, reliable vehicle, with nearly zero maintenance in the period between about 95 and 150 thousand miles.

So here I am, XJ-less, and my NAXJA membership is coming up for expiration at the end of the month.

I've been mostly active on the OEM Tech board for the duration anyway, and I'll continue to keep an eye out there, but I think I'm going to have to let my membership lapse.

Of course, you never know what the future will bring. Maybe I'll find something irresistible in the XJ field again. Maybe someone will cough up a beautifully preserved one that just came in from a rust free zone. But for now, it looks as if I'll be becoming one of those dreaded non-members.

So good luck to y'all, and keep the faith.

:tears::tears: too bad-- don't be too much of a stranger. You've still got tons of good advice for the others. :peace:

I'm sad. You will be missed.

Hey, NAXJA--how about this, IF EVERYONE SENDS Matthew Curie at least ONE spare XJ part, he could build a "new to him" XJ Johnny Cash style--"One Piece at a Time"!

I'm sad. You will be missed.

Hey, NAXJA--how about this, IF EVERYONE SENDS Matthew Curie at least ONE spare XJ part, he could build a "new to him" XJ Johnny Cash style--"One Piece at a Time"!

And even then it still wouldn't have a chance of looking like this:gee:

patch_onepiece_2.jpg

All things eventually come to an end. But as you said, one never knows what the future holds. I'm sort of doing the opposite; very shortly I'll be reviving my XJ.

Always welcome back... I've gotten some good advise from you over the years, too!

I will donate parts to build an XJ, but I have no clean rust free unibodies... that's a hard part to find :(

Who's up for a carpool to the south to buy 6 rust free XJs and drive them back?

Sorry to see you go, but you can always come back for a visit or two.

Whatever happened to RichP? I haven't seen him post in a long time.

I remember seeing your posts back in '99 and I thought for a long time that you were part of the Currie diff people :)

...and I believe that your avatar has always been the same excavator you have now!

Don't be a stranger. Lots of rig-less older members are still around.

Matthew, don't be a stranger. Be safe and enjoy yourself!

Back