• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

almost ready to ring the XJ home

89 Sport

NAXJA Forum User
Today I went to my storage unit to start getting ready to bring the XJ home. It has not been driven since 2004 and it has been in storage since 2006 and has not seen the light of day in about 5 years. It is a 89 sport 2dr. 4.0 5sp. Came with skids, rear tire carrier. I've bought it in 1990 with 4500 miles, now it has 225,000 miles on it. In 2001 I put a RC 3 in. lift, front springs and bastard pack (netted about 4.25 inches after it was broke in), RS 9000 shocks. One day while shopping at Kmart my dog hit the shifter and the jeep rolled about 100 yards and hit a tree with the rear end. If it didnt hit that tree it would have rolled down a small hill and into a busy street (I guess I got kinda lucky). I found a 96 2dr. in the bone yard that was loaded so I got the hatch, doors, interior, AX15, stroker parts and some other stuff. I replaced the hatch, installed the power windows and locks and the interior and have not used it since. I did start collecting parts. RC 4.5 complete lift, 1 ton steering, 9000 lb warn winch, roof rack, NOS sound bar and overhead console, headliner material, open system raditor, header, steel for rocker protection, bumpers, ect and more that I cant remember.
I will be using this for hunting trips, camping and mild wheeling. So it will have to be able to drive safely on road and be capable off road. So I will be upgrading front brakes. For the rear I will be using a mopar 8.75 rear from a 69 Road Runner (fits perfect), I will have to modify the spring perches and shock mounts. The brakes can be upgraded to discs. I think this will be strong enough for the XJ. I have used these behind 500 plus HP motors with no problems, and it wont cost an arm and a leg because I have a bunch of spare shafts and center sections.
I know I still need a a$$ load of parts but I think I have enough to get this started. I dont need a DD so I can take my time and do it right. I dont want to cut the wheel wells so I want to use 32s that are a little narrower.
I have a couple of questions.
1. Would 355's work well with this combo? I dont want to loose the torque and would like to try and keep the MPG,s close.
2. Do I have to post pics. via a hosting site like photo bucket?

Any sugestions will be appreciated. (sp.) Lets hear what you guys think of my plan.

pics through photobucket or similar.

3.55s and 32s will suck.

pics through photobucket or similar.

3.55s and 32s will suck.

Its a 5 sp. So I think it has 307s in it. Correct me if im wrong (been away from XJ's for awhile). Anyway I have center sections with 355s, 373s and 410s. Which ones would work best? Either one i go with I will have to get different gears for the front. I also have a 60 from a 71 GTX but it is a little wider and I would have to cut it down a bit. I would hate to waste a Mopar 60 on an XJ. I would like to save that for my next Mopar project (71 road runner), whatever I go with I probably will just get a complete non disco axel so I can upgrade it then install it when I do the lift. Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
3.07 would be the correct stock axle and, IMO, the 4.10 for 32" and a manual transmission gives the best all around street/off road capabilities. Shorter gears, like 4.56 for instance, will enhance your off road capabilities at the expense of the highway.

It is all a compromise.

Your 5 speed will be more like a 4 speed. I had 33"s and 3.07s.....5th gear was useless unless going downhill. Its doable though, off road take alot more work though, you need 3 legs to work with the gearbox with 3.07s and 33". I would imagine 32"s would be similar

Yes the gearing sucks. Momentum will deffinately be your friend. You need a much higher crawl ratio to wheel with a stick. Somewhere above 100:1. I'm starting my swap in a few weeks. Ax15 231 d300 4.10(future 5.13s) 35". I'll be at 112 then 140. Your setup will give you 32:1, deffinately going to lack in low speed control. An auto gives you an almost infinite low range because of the converter so gearing is not as crucial in the rocks.
A hand throttle is a must for wheeling with a stick IMO though.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info. I wont be doing too much wheeling in rocks but I will probably consider going with 4:10s. I need this thing to be streetable because it's a 600 mile round trip to my little hunk of heaven.

Heres another question. I bought the one ton steering from JCR. When I got it I was just going to keep the XJ knuckles and stock brakes. Now that I'm going to upgrade to WJ knuckles and brakes I am wondering if the one ton setup will work with Wj stuff. If not, what will I need to make it work?

I have read that you can use the stock steering with WJ knuckles, so being that it is basically a HD replacement for the factory steering, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

You can use stock steering you just wont use the top hole on the passenger side knuckle thats for the crossover setup

hope you grabbed the brake booster and master cylinder from the 96 as well. will help with braking too.

Back