• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alloy USA vs. Superior Axle Shafts

XJCreeper

NAXJA Forum User
I need to pickup a spare rear axle shaft for my 8.25 before my next trip out. I wanted to pickup a superior axle from summit racing for about $110 but they are out of stock till 9/6. I can get an alloy USA one for about the same price and it's in stock. Does anyone have any experience with the alloy usa brand or should I hold out for the superiors to be restocked? TIA for the responses.

you'd be better off getting 2 shafts and keep the stock ones as spares
also i belive one is longer then the other

why build a 8.25 unless its 29spline?

ive heard good things about both companys

nickangus said:
you'd be better off getting 2 shafts and keep the stock ones as spares
also i belive one is longer then the other

why build a 8.25 unless its 29spline?

ive heard good things about both companys
X2 on the two new shafts keep the stock for spare, but they are the same length 29s are fine as long as you are not standing on the shinny pedal
I still haver stock 27s and have yet to break them with a full detroit
it has been all over Tellico

Thanks for the information on the Alloy USA brand. As long as it's a bit stonger than the stock one I'll be happy. MAybe I'll pickup a second one and install them both when I get a few more extra $$$. That's a great idea and should be a little stronger than the OEM shafts I got in there.

Thanks for the advice on upgrading. However my experience with the 27 spline 8.25 running 33's has been good so far. I'm not a lead foot since I got a teralow installed. I creep along just fine and don't hammer the skinny pedal past 2,000 RPM. If I can't make it I stack rocks or use the winch. I've been wheeling 33's with the 27 spline 8.25 for about 5 years. No problems till I went to the Rubicon, got stupid and broke the axle there once. Really my fault. But thats what my spare was for. My bad, I didn't see I was slipping of a rock and stupidly pounded the skinny pedal, slipped of the rock and broke both the rock in three pieces with my rear shock mount as well as the axle shaft. No biggie. It took about a little time to change it on the trail.

I think I can do it in about a 30 minutes now that I know the 8.25 like the back of my hand. Other than that one time it's held up fine. I see no need to upgrade it yet.

Thanks for the advice. Even if I had a D44 I'd still carry a spare. Thanks for sharing your experiences with axles too. Someday I'll go to a 29 spline setup of even a D44 if I got a good deal. But until my 8.25 starts eating axles like candy I'm not going to worry about it. Right now I just need a good spare for a good price.

yeah I am running 33s as well and I am like you until I start breaking them and changing them evry time I go out the 27 8.25 is fine by way cheaper to by a axle or two than a whole new set up gears locker etc.
the 27 8.25 spline has been around for years and has been good for older 5K + pound chrysler cars so I guess run mine till I get rich

Before I got my XJ I used to be a mopar guy and had a couple Dakota's with the 27 spline 8.25 axle. Used to load it to the hilt with building materials and did some wheeling too and never broke one in the truck.

The major drawback for the 8.25 would be the c-clip design which requires you crack the pumpkin open and change it as soon as you break it.:smsoap: Just gotta be ready for Sh%t to happen.:tear: But who knows maybe someone will give me a great deal on a XJ D44 someday but I'm not holding my breath or gonna sweat it:twak:. For now having an axle that is much better than a D35 but not a strong as a D44 is OK by me too. I hear the upgrade to 29 splines is pretty easy and makes it close to the D44 as far as strength goes. So if I start snapping em' like crazy I'll probably go that route.

clint said:
I run Alloy USA 33 spline shafts in my D44. I was pretty impressed with the quality.
Do you carry a spare set of shafts? I'd like to get 33 spline alloys and a full spool when I go up to 33s, but not if I need to buy two sets of alloy shafts. Do you think spares shafts are necessary on 33s?

Mambeu said:
Do you carry a spare set of shafts? I'd like to get 33 spline alloys and a full spool when I go up to 33s, but not if I need to buy two sets of alloy shafts. Do you think spares shafts are necessary on 33s?

With 33's and the 33 spline I do not carry a spare. This might come back to get me though. Anything can happen, but the odds now are greatly reduced. If I were on 35's I would definetly have spares. I bought my alloy's at summit for 209. I'm thinking about finding somone who also has a 33 spline d44 and buying another set and splitting it so I'd have a spare for about $100.

clint said:
With 33's and the 33 spline I do not carry a spare. This might come back to get me though. Anything can happen, but the odds now are greatly reduced. If I were on 35's I would definetly have spares. I bought my alloy's at summit for 209. I'm thinking about finding somone who also has a 33 spline d44 and buying another set and splitting it so I'd have a spare for about $100.
I would be interested in this proposition, I have 33-spline alloys now and would feel better w/a spare, you know how that works, if you have it, you probably won't need it.

Isn't there a difference in shaft length?

100_1632.jpg

(HilltopXJ's photo)

Mambeu said:
Isn't there a difference in shaft length?

100_1632.jpg

(HilltopXJ's photo)

Are those stock? I'm pretty sure both my AlloyUSA shafts were the same length. According Alloy's catalog, their stock replacement shafts have a difference of 1/4".

Last edited:
The difference is from right to left. and its 1/2". 29.25 vs 29.75. and 33 spline shafts are also about 1/8" larger diameter. Alloy USA is better.

I'm running 33 splines also, and don't carry a spare. So if I bought just the short side axle for a spare, it would work in both sides right? Just with less spline engagement on the long side?

Talyn said:
Those aren't 8.25 shafts. No c-clips. And they aren't D35 shafts unless they are the earlier ones.

Following the thread as it took an off-topic twist, the two gents in question were discussing the D44 shafts (pictured).

You're all 'right', in a sense.

Yes it has run off topic. I apoligize. The D44 talk in this thread has been moved to back channel.

To get this back on topic, I don't think you can go wrong with either Superior or AlloyUSA. I have front Superior and rear AlloyUSA. Both are high quality..

Thanks everyone for the camparison and you experiences. I just recieved the new Alloy USA shaft from DrivetrainOutlet.com today. I was worried about having the all important spare in time for my trip but Bruce there had it here lightening fast.

Come payday I'm gonna by a second one from him and install both the Alloy's since they are stronger than stock. For me using the weaker OEM ones for spares may make more sense. If start breaking them or hit the lotto I'll start thinking 33 spline and D44 here I come.

Back