• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment in South Jersey

HQuakers

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to pass along some info. Installed a ZJ tie rod a few weeks back and I've been fiddling with the toe several times trying to get it close. Today I put in the IRO adjustable track bar and while I was down there I figured I'd give it a try again. After a few tries I decided to give up and get it aligned professionally, especially since when driving above 50mph I would still get some shimmy and the Jeep was still tracking to the right.

Went to NTB in Maple Shade on rt 73N and got it done there. I had a previous car done there a few years back to custom specs and they did a perfect job aligning it, despite the car being lowered. Spoke with the guy at the counter (I believe the asst. manager) who couldn't have been nicer, and we talked about the different packages. I chose the 3-year alignment program as I'm sure I'll change something up or hit something offroad and will need it done again before then. I informed him about the adjustable track bar and that the side-to-side front axle centering can be adjusted, which he made note of on the paperwork for the tech.

He said I can bring it in any time in the 3 years to have it re-aligned and there's no restrictions. Even if I feel like something small might be off, he said bring it in. Paid $159, waited about an hour (one car ahead of me), and they did a good job.

Just to show how bad of a job I did, the toe before on the left was 1.69 degrees, and after -0.01 degrees (range is -0.1 to 0.25). On the right before was 0.31 degrees and after was -0.1 (same range as left). The manager looked at the printout and asked what the hell I hit to make it off that much. I declined to tell him I did it myself :twak: to save myself the embarrassment. They didn't need to touch the track bar as I had gotten the centering within about 0.125-0.2", which is, IMO, the closest you can really get it because of the thread pitch on the track bar.

I highly suggest the NTB in Maple Shade to do your alignment if you want a shop to do it. Zero problems for me the last two times I went in (without an appt. mind you). Jeep drives great, no vibes at all anymore, centered steering wheel, and no more tracking.

Cliff notes: NTB in Maple Shade did a good job on my alignment and I recommend them to do yours.

Now if I could find a similar shop further south! We seem to beat up the alignment on our Jeeps with every wheeling trip. I always do mine my self but never seem to get it dead on. Alignment survived today's outing, but I blew up the rear diff! Had to pull the drive shaft and drive home on the front axle!

That's an amazing story considering most shops won't touch a lifted truck, especially a chain store. Most of those guys never seem to understand basic geometry. Glad to hear you licked out,Scott.

Now if I could find a similar shop further south! We seem to beat up the alignment on our Jeeps with every wheeling trip. I always do mine my self but never seem to get it dead on.

I'd say it's worth the trip if your alignment is pissing you off as much as mine was pissing me off. I'd make one small change, and then other stuff needed to be adjusted. It was like running in circles.

That's an amazing story considering most shops won't touch a lifted truck, especially a chain store. Most of those guys never seem to understand basic geometry. Glad to hear you licked out,Scott.

Yeah, I know. They were the first shop I thought of because of my car experience previously. Guys there were ridiculously nice, and I believe they use a Hunter alignment rack, which IMO is among the best. Thanks for the words.

NTB is the name of the place or abbrev.? I might shoot down there from Staten Island. Do they replace ball joints, etc. I had some jerk here on SI telling me $ 843.00 to change the ball joints, and left hub bearing. I told him to go blow smoke up someone elses ass. They quoted me $ 130.00 for each top joint and $ 100.00 for each lower. Meanwhile they can be had from Morris 4x4 Center for max $ 30.00 ea. Let me know please. I just can't seem to get the time to tear this rig apart myself lately.

Back