• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airsoft for tire balancing

langer1 said:
What do you mean by low speed? Tire balance is not and issue at low speed anyway or do you balance your Lawn mower tires.
If you had read what I quoted, the individual seemed to be insinuating that these would not ballance well at low speeds. My point was why would you worry about low speed balance, it seems to only be an issue at speed (road/highway) where these seem to work well.
I doubt an individuals ability to identify unbalanced tires at speeds under 25 mph unless there are other issues.
To clarify further, I don't give a rats azz if my tires are balanced while moving slowly off road, it's not an issue.

JnJ said:
To clarify further, I don't give a rats azz if my tires are balanced while moving slowly off road, it's not an issue.

x2

It's not that I can feel it either, but I can hear a graciously out of balance tire thumping with the window down.

It's not really an issue but it's one of those little things that bug me. Like a harmonic rattle or squeek.

I agree. I am very sensitive when it comes to vibrations. I just can't stand them. I've managed to get only one of my tires to balance out perfectly using wheel weights. The vibrations aren't BAD, but they bother me. I want to give the airsoft a shot to see if it will take care of my issues.

if you have issues with vibrations, why on earth did you buy a jeep???? mine vibrates and makes noises so much it's not funny... that's why I installed high end speakers and a big amp... I just turn up the radio.. no more noise

I bought it to go wheelin' and camping, etc. It's not my daily driver. I'm not a stereo head, so I don't need all that amp and crap (because that is more noise to me than the tires). Everybody is different and certain things will bother different people in different ways. Just because vibrations bother me but don't bother you doesn't mean that I should not allow the vibrations to bother me just because you bitch at me for it bothering me! I've been living with the vibrations, yes. But if there is an oportunity for me to try a method of action that just may eliminate, or at least drastically reduce my vibrations, by George, I'm going to try it!

And, if you don't have an issue with vibrations and they don't bother you because of your "big stereo", then why are you reading this thread in the first place? Aparently, your vibrations must be bothering you and you are hoping for a remedy as well, just like everybody else reading this thread. Sooooo....the moral of the story is this, if you don't have anything positive to say, just shut up and put your bossy internet personality on the shelf.

I don't think you can feel or hear a tire that is out of balance at speeds below 25-30.... What you are more likely to feel or hear is a slightly bent wheel or a tire that is out of round, either of which will also cause it to be out of balance... Your tires can be perfectly round, and wheels perfectly straight, but still out of balance and you won't hear or feel anything until you are up to about 40-45... Out of balance is happens with inertia, and there isn't much inertia until you are moving faster than 25... I have one slightly bent wheel, and I can hear it in my new tires while going at any speed,,,, but with proper balancing, I can't feel it at all... It did take a couple of tries to get the balance to compensate correctly, but it did work.... So again, I can hear mine sound out of balance even at 10-15,,, but I don't feel them at any speed.... If you can hear or feel what seems like an out of balance tire at speeds below 30, then I would bet you have a slightly bent wheel,, which is actually very common.... I can't remember the last time I had any of my vehicles in the tire shop and they didn't find a slight bend in one of the wheels.

Captain Tenille said:
Anyone heard about the new Goodyear MT/R tires?
Supposed to be better than Mudlops even!

New MT/R? What did they change I wonder. I have 33" MT/R on my XJ that are about a year old. I wonder if they are different? I can tell you this, I do love my tires!

XJflexer said:
And, if you don't have an issue with vibrations and they don't bother you because of your "big stereo", then why are you reading this thread in the first place?

I'm wondering the same thing.

I'm also still wondering what tire size has to do with axle width and I'm still wondering about those high pinnion Chevy Dana44 axles. :confused1

:confused1 :dunce:
XJflexer said:
New MT/R? What did they change I wonder. I have 33" MT/R on my XJ that are about a year old. I wonder if they are different? I can tell you this, I do love my tires!

XJflexer said:
And, if you don't have an issue with vibrations and they don't bother you because of your "big stereo", then why are you reading this thread in the first place? Aparently, your vibrations must be bothering you and you are hoping for a remedy as well, just like everybody else reading this thread. Sooooo....the moral of the story is this, if you don't have anything positive to say, just shut up and put your bossy internet personality on the shelf.

first off all, I don't have a big stereo... I have a nice stereo... big difference... no subwoofers for this guy... and I didn't say vibrations didn't bother me, cause they do, but I've learned to deal with them. Having tires out of balance however isn't the only reason for a vibration. Having tires out of balance drives me crazy, that is why I am reading this thread so when I put my beadlocks on I can put airsofts to balance them out... I was making a joke about how all jeeps have vibrations and that is something you just have to deal with if you drive one... holy cow lighten up

FYI...

DO NOT use clay airsoft pellets for balancing. They turn to dust after about 5000 miles. The plastic ones are fine. Also 12 ounces in a 35x12.5 is too much weight...causes a terrible out of balance feeling from 40-50mph, then they balance out good. For 35's, I would go with about 8 ounces of pellets.

JohnX said:
FYI...

DO NOT use clay airsoft pellets for balancing. They turn to dust after about 5000 miles. The plastic ones are fine. Also 12 ounces in a 35x12.5 is too much weight...causes a terrible out of balance feeling from 40-50mph, then they balance out good. For 35's, I would go with about 8 ounces of pellets.

in other words you suggest starting low and adding more... is their any indication as to whether you need to add more or you have too much... I mean if you put 8 ounces in and it's not balance, how do you know whether you need to add or take out?

XJflexer said:
LilRedRover-I just want tosay, I've had a rough day all in all. Sorry if I came across harsh.
No big deal... bad days happen to us all... I remember the day I got married quite well... HAHA

I would ask cal. He's got the system down to a science

I would start lower and work your way up, yes. When I balance my current tire (35x12.5 AT's) I plan to only run 5 ounces in each tire to start. I might have to consult Cal to see what he thinks?

JohnX said:
I would start lower and work your way up, yes. When I balance my current tire (35x12.5 AT's) I plan to only run 5 ounces in each tire to start. I might have to consult Cal to see what he thinks?

I started with 7.not enough.......8.not enough.......9.5 is where it worked for 35x12.5 mtr's on 15 x 10 Bob Long beadlocks

Back