• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag Module

1997-2001 when the airbags deploy, you need to replace the airbags (2), the clock spring, and the airbag controller/trigger. I have good luck with used airbags from the junkyard. The airbag system is self-testing so if the dash light goes out your airbag system is good.

I have complete 97-01 airbag system for sale, PM me if you are interested.

WaHu!! I just installed just my driver and passenger side airbags. Didn't switch the clock spring nor the module. Light went out within a couple seconds of startup. So I might just have been lucky but I'm all set and only invested $85 in both airbags. I'm too excited it worked out

Not to try to freak you out, but this is right from the FSM...

1999 Cherokee FSM said:
DEPLOYED
Any vehicle which is to be returned to use after an
airbag deployment, must have both airbag modules,
the passenger side airbag module door and the clockspring
replaced. These components will be damaged
or weakened as a result of an airbag deployment,
which may or may not be obvious during a visual
inspection, and are not intended for reuse.
Other vehicle components should be closely
inspected, but are to be replaced only as required by

the extent of the visible damage incurred.

1997-2001 when the airbags deploy, you need to replace the airbags (2), the clock spring, and the airbag controller/trigger.

The controller was relocated from under the drivers seat to inside the floor console. If the TSB was not performed, the control is still under the seat.

standard.jpg

Thanks. That exactly what I was looking for. I know the one air bag module is under the center console. What is the other one?

The way I read it, an airbag module is simply the bag and inflator mechanism. So, the FSM is saying you need to replace the driver airbag, the passenger airbag, the passenger airbag door (cover), and the clockspring. It doesn't say you have to replace the airbag control module (ACM) unless it is visibly damaged.

ohh so thats why my FSM says my airbag module is under the seat and I only see 3 bare studs there; I was looking for it last night. that means this recall has been done on mine before, and it has been moved?

ohh so thats why my FSM says my airbag module is under the seat and I only see 3 bare studs there; I was looking for it last night. that means this recall has been done on mine before, and it has been moved?

Yes, they moved it to under the center console.

Im ditching the explosions a foot from my face in my 01. If anyone needs the ACM I will sell it.

Back