• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag light stays on

Maybe we are the only two, shouldnt be that hard, pull out dash, look at wires, see if something broke, look around on :NAXJA: some more, or spend thouands of dollors at a car shop so they can TELL me whats wrong :dunno:

Nothing is broke. My solution to getting the gages to work again is simple, just snap the washer/wiper lever back towards the rear of the wagon quickly. It always works on mine. I just don't understand why the cruise control and airbag deals are happening. It throws NO codes. I'm really starting to get pissed about it. Maybe a BFH to the dash will fix it!!:D

I just got my 98 and it seems the light comes on when its cold. So I will check the harness and see if I can run some codes.

I've got a similar issue, no horn, no cruise, just a pretty little red airbag light! Will a "good" scanner from advance work to read supposed codes. No check engine codes this week thank goodness. Afraid that it may be said clock spring or mercury switch... Costs? Alternatives? Guess its back to the shop in the mean time... Checked all connections and cleaned not too long ago, well everything under the hood, behind the wheel, and gauges...

Sounds like the clockspring to me. 20 bucks at the junkyard should set it right, get autozone's steeering wheel puller kit for 15 bucks and you have almost everything you need to do the job, just 8/10mm and 5/8 plus 3/4 or 7/8 (iirc) sockets needed otherwise, plus some screwdrivers. Make sure you straighten the wheel out and recenter the clockspring before installation, and disconnect the battery for a few hours before starting.

I do appreciate it. I tried everything else and have gotten to the point where throwing money at the problem doesn't fit in the budget. Sounds like a plan, think the local you pull it would be open with our current 8" of snow. Its basically unheard of here in Raleigh....

Pop quiz! Will the clockspring deal from a '97 TJ with no cruise work on a '97 XJ with every power option? Got a buddy that has one in his garage and it would be a lot easier and cheaper to drive to his place than go to the JY soon, if his will work. He swapped steering wheels and pulled his..

Picked up a clockspring for a 97 without cruise, swapped in, took care of the problem. Guess its a good thing that I don't use cruise. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

EDIT: I was incorrect. 97 and later clocksprings ARE different cruise vs no cruise. My apologies for the BS info...

Glad it worked!

Last edited:
glad yall got it to work, I have to try it once I learn what a clock spring is, I was beginning to think that the air bag light makes the jeep look cooler because the length of time is has been on

reaper1972 has had the same problem with his airbag light coming on and going off. His problem is the preasure switch under the drivers seat. His is a 2000 model AT I6.

Back