• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Air Springs" previously installed on my 94 XJ ?

browneee

NAXJA Forum User
On the door pillar of my 94 XJ, it states "Air Springs" installed on this vehicle...

Well obviously I'm not the original owner cause their not on the vehicle ?. So can anyone tell me about this option and were they any good ?. If they were shit, what have others replaced them with ?

Air springs were and are generally used to lift the back end up when towing a heavy tounge load. One brand is 'air-lift', they work and do what they are supposed to do. Some people that put them on to tow boats and such have been known to remove them for the fall and winter to keep them from getting all nasty and stuff from winter road salting and stuff and then put them back on in the spring. Generally that leaves a couple of the mounting points on the rear axle but I guess some could take them completely off.

sbxj said:
I had heard that air springs were OE on Jeeps that had factory snowplows

anyone else heard that rumor?

Which, LOL, I'm sure were very popular in Perth, Australia. Seriously though, since you have an export model Jeep, I wonder if a factory air bag suspension was one of the options (like rear seat headrests) Chrysler opted not to offer to the retail American market in the "downmarket" Cherokee.

I thought they were something used more for towing/heavy load carrying (they are better at maintaining a stable ride height) applications like fullsize trucks so kinda wierd to put them on XJs. Do you have the tow package option? This might explain the jeep once having them. From what I understand theyre more for highway use but I think the additional $ expense and difficulty of locating replacement parts (bags) is why the prev. owner got rid of them. Do you have an on board air system, it might have come with them that would be cool.

Last edited:
hahaha snow in perth...

Well to be completely honest I'm not sure if I have the "tow" package or not !, how do you recognoise this model ?, is it the "hayman reese" hitch ?, if so I have it, I cant find any onboard air (yes would be cool).

My XJ is completly stock, I've done enough customising 4wds for awhile, I use to have a 42 flat fender, with spring over on fj40 diesel diff's, any many other fabrications as you would expect for a rock crawler... The XJ is mainly my work car, family car, weekend car and general car, so she'l be remaining stock for awhile...

Well to be completely honest I'm not sure if I have the "tow" package or not !, how do you recognoise this model ?, is it the "hayman reese" hitch ?, if so I have it, I cant find any onboard air (yes would be cool).

It includes a hitch, trailer wiring already installed, automatic transmission with factory external cooler, (a small one) higher amp alternator, and in some cases, fullsize spare, trac-lock (limited slip), lower gears (3.73:1) a Dana 44 rear end. I don't think the air bags require onboard air just inflation to a certain psi but there are remotely controllable (compressed air) systems so no OBA huh? I'd still like to know where air suspensions were an XJ factory option.

If you take your vin number to a dealership they can tell you what options, features, paint it has as well as what the stuff on the door pillar means.

Last edited:
Thought I heard it mentioned a few times that you can plug in your vin at the jeep home page area somewhere and get the build sheet from there.

Back