• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Bag lift

so you wired it to force each wheel independantly? cause' the controller box in the pic only worked 2 wheels at a time, like left side or right....?

xuv-this said:
so you wired it to force each wheel independantly? cause' the controller box in the pic only worked 2 wheels at a time, like left side or right....?
I designed and built my system long before the idea of "air bag kits" was around.
I think you misunderstood thinking that I actually installed the kit pictured in this thread.

I don't know anything about that kit or how it is controlled.

I use 4, 5 port, dual solenoid valves; one for each corner.

Having installed an airock system into a Rubicon. I do feel that it would not be to dificult to adapt it to an XJ.
got cash? first of the kit is up close to $3000. you would need to convert the rear to a coil setup. preferably a long arm system. possibly adapting RE's extreme duty TJ LA setup for the XJ.
the advantages to the airock system is that its dynamic. it constantly monitors all for wheels ride height and bag pressure and it can actively make changes while you drive. in the setup I installed. we set the speed threshold to about 26mph. when you are about 26mph the system will constantly adjust to counteract sway. you can even set it to air down to the bump stops to make geting in and out easier. it is pretty cool to play with and can be a little less hands on than Gregs setup.

The rear airbag kit I showed have no controlls at all. You just set the pressure with a air hose at the servo or where ever and thats it. This is a very simple system for those like me that would only be changing it when loaded with a trailer. Also allows you to level the lift left to right as well due to separate air lines. You could fit more controls to if you had on board air etc. One of the guys on here have just fitted a set and was thinking of adding a simple solenoid so that they are independant for the highway giving reduced body sway but then flicking a switch so when off roading the air on a compressed bag would travel across to the other helping in pushing it down. Justy a simple tee piece in each line that comnected the two together with the solenoid inbetween would be all that was needed. You would even have to have on board air to do it.

Gojeep said:
The rear airbag kit I showed have no controlls at all. You just set the pressure with a air hose at the servo or where ever and thats it. This is a very simple system for those like me that would only be changing it when loaded with a trailer. Also allows you to level the lift left to right as well due to separate air lines. You could fit more controls to if you had on board air etc. One of the guys on here have just fitted a set and was thinking of adding a simple solenoid so that they are independant for the highway giving reduced body sway but then flicking a switch so when off roading the air on a compressed bag would travel across to the other helping in pushing it down. Justy a simple tee piece in each line that comnected the two together with the solenoid inbetween would be all that was needed. You would even have to have on board air to do it.

I am in the process of designing my OBA and adding a airbag to support rear spring sag. Like this idea GOJEEP. I would think that you would have to run almost two systems.

I dont quite understand maybe? First system to run them independently and the second to run them together as mentioned. So you would have to disable the independent system and then engage the dual system is the only way I can think of it happening?!? am I on the right track anyone?

Theres a Jeep Brute about 10 minutes from my house. I'll go and take some pics soon. It's got bags all around, air lockers, and OBA. It's not the AEV kit either, this was one of the actual concepts that some lady won from a car show (SEMA maybe?)

xuv-this said:
HOOWWLY crap! i seen it all now. so i knew about the "universal spring helper kits" but had no idea about the 4 link. so there IS a kit to lower the rear. wow.
so you guys who are running the fabbed airbag rigs; honestly i could never see why someone would want that over springs, so could someone enlighten me? like doesn't it get kinda annoying having to constantly push buttons while goin' over the big bumps?

You don't seem to understand how it works...Advantages: You have control over ground clearance, COG, aproach and departure angles! Cons: .... none off the top of my head, maybe ripping and bag or havin an air leak but if you do it right you shouldnt have those problems. Why would you have to constantly push any buttons... just set it where you want it and leave it... If you need to adjust then adjust... its far from annoying... If anything it makes your rig tons more capable! I wish i could afford to mod mine!

Indertdxj said:
I just want airbags to lift sag on springs when fully loaded.
Then just get air shocks if thats all you want... I've got airride all the way around on a lil lowrider vehicle and i love it, not that that really matters,

HOLY CRAP GUYS - I talk about bringing back an old thread and then trying to quote people from a couple years ago. :doh:

Last edited:
Gojeep said:

ANyone got any ideas how to set this idea up>>>

Yes, if it fits a 97 it will fit a 99.

That airlift kit is just for load leveling, not a real lift. You still have your old springs/shocks and it does nothing for the front suspension.

If you are looking for a real air suspension the only place to look is Off Road Only. Although he does not have a XJ specific kit he can sell you everything it takes to put one together, except for the rear suspension. This not just a airbag lift that goes up and down, this system gives the operator complete control over the vehicle center of gravity. This is a computer controlled system, not just a bunch of switches and solenoids. Those AEV rigs on air bags use AiRock suspension system.

Yes it is expensive but it will do things that no other suspension can do. You see these threads about folks wanting to lift thier rigs and then lower them later, with a fixed ride height it is one or the other and you get the pro's and con's of what ever height you decide to run. On air bags, your suspension is adjustable to whatever the trail conditions are. For example, on a side hill, going uphill all the vehicle weight is shifted to the downhill side tires, not to mention the pucker factor of being close to rolling over, in soft dirt/deep snow the tires just dig in on the downhill side because the uphill side tires don't have enough weight on them to bite, so they just spin. The AiRock will allow me to lean the vehicle into the hill shifting weight back to the uphill side tires. I can also adjust the uphill front of the vehicle down some to shift more weight to that front corner also. The result ...the load on all four tires is more balanced providing maximum traction, we just crawl up the hill with virtually no wheel spin.

The function of the buttons on the AiRock controller change according to what mode you are operating in. In highway mode you are locked out because once you get over the programmed speed (15-25 mph) the system goes into active mode where it is unsafe for the operator to make any changes to the system. The system in active mode automatically keeps the suspension level, whether you are hauling a load or cornering. It has two offroad modes, one gives the buttons specific fuctionality like hit the button and this button makes the vehicle go to the pre determined(programmed) height. The other mode changes button functionality again but now when you hit a button it only moves the suspension 10 percent of its travel allowing for minute adjustments. It is hard to explain but once you have learned the modes and the buttons function for each mode making changes is quick and easy. I does a lot more than it demonstrates on the web site.

I consider myself lucky to have this on my XJ, If you haven't seen one in action, don't knock it. The AiRock is just one component of the suspension, you can put on the AiRock but if the rest of the suspension isn't up to snuff you have wasted your money.

Jerry H.
Frozen in Minneapolis

Last edited:
Back