• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

The minimum requirement of a "real XJ" is differential locker(s) and a couple of dents, or atleast some scratches. Well, something that reveals that the vehicle have been off road. :D

Crewzzzer said:
If I had stock everything, but lower it, put a few lights on it, and then add spinners is that a REAL XJ.
I think this is an interesting reply, let's explore this one. So what do you guys and gals think, is it a real XJ ?

XJguy said:
I think an additional compressor added for OBA is fine but losing a function of the XJ (AC) in order to make another is not in the scriptures. A V8 swap causes the XJ to lose nothing of its creature comforts and conveniences if done right, in fact its a win win situation, more power, smoothness and if your talking an LS1 or better yet LS4, even more efficiency and lighter weight than stock!

Never saw an XJ with no AC BTW, was it standard in all models?

XJguy

nope, my sisters 90' XJ bone stock, no power locks windows, no A/C. mine's almost loaded, but i gotta fix the power windows lol.

You know I was wondering why Goatman hasn't checked back in at all on this thread then it hit me...

He's hanging his head in shame since he no longer has a REAL XJ.

Trailer queen. :looser:

:cheers:

Goatman said:
A REAL XJ also has an A/C compressor that is still used to cool air, not pump it.

It's so weird to me to think of A/C as a necessity. Up here in the Northwest we rarely have a use for it. Mine didn't come with it, but I added it for OBA. I don't see how that could disqualify me from owning a REAL XJ.

Cool thread by the way...

GSequoia said:
You know I was wondering why Goatman hasn't checked back in at all on this thread then it hit me...

He's hanging his head in shame since he no longer has a REAL XJ.

Trailer queen. :looser:

:cheers:

I'm just sitting back and enjoying. :)

BTW, I just drove my XJ all around the desert near San Felipe last week, and I drove it to a snow run last month. I also still drive it to work occasionally, and love to drive it around town running errands and stuff.

Hmmm.......you're a funny one to comment about driving their XJ around. :looser:

:D

i've gotten to drive that jeep with the george foreman grill welded into the back:D

PAPXJ said:
It's so weird to me to think of A/C as a necessity. Up here in the Northwest we rarely have a use for it. Mine didn't come with it, but I added it for OBA. I don't see how that could disqualify me from owning a REAL XJ.

Cool thread by the way...

LOL after 2 trips to iraq i dont need A/C anywhere, cept in the house. of course my dad hates me for it too when its 90 degrees out and i'm running around with the windows down enjoying the day, and he's sittin in the passenger seat of his truck sweating buckets:D

however i do need to check to see if the A/C in the jeep works...not entirely sure of that yet......

p.s. papxj...i dont think that disqualifies you, because you added a compressor to yours, you didnt modify it from what its original intention was as coming stock from the factory (did that make sense?)

Kejtar said:
ROTFLMAO Goatman, you now owe me a beer for the one that I'm cleaning of my monitor ;)

Glad to be of service. :cheers:

Sweet thread...Reminds me of my BOTW trip to JV in 2003.
Denver to Barstow; two days of fun in the rocks; Drive in to LA to pickup the wife and kid @ LAX; Visit Disneyland; Visit Family in SoCal; 1000 miles back to Denver.

That was also the last time I remember gas under $2/gallon :(

Tomorrow I'll clear 320,000 miles on my drive into work on 37s...

i think the difference between a real XJ and a totally modifyed is if you can still take it to your jeep service centre and they can still basically work on it--then its a realxj---meaning that if it is lifted and big wheels maybe lockers and quick disconects it is still servicable my a mainstream dealer ( not that you would want to)as opposed to something lurking is a shed or backyard

Ewen

Scrappy said:
BTT for all of our HARDCORE newbies.

x2 I hope they read at least the first couple pages.

GSequoia said:
From the guy who's TJ8 is more of a real XJ than his XJ. :twak:

STFU G.... I never claimed a real XJ... though if you think the TJ8 will suffice, I have more of a reason to maintain my membership. Other than having Phillius making drunken phone calls.

why not just say a real xj does what is was designed to do? obvously a 2wd xj isn't going to see a lot of trail time, but if it's built to get great gas millage and be fast and tote the kids around I'd say it's a real xj.

if an xj is built to climb rock faces it can't do that to the best of its ability without sacrificing most if not all of its road manners. Still a real XJ because it's doing what it was built to do. Hate to use the tired old phrase, but real xj's are built, not bought.

as for the mall crawlers lift kits were built to go off road. If you lift you xj up 15" with a set of 40" tires and are still runnin your stock axles so you xj looks good, but is not off roaded and therefor is a real accident waiting to happen, not a real xj.

Back