• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket replacement headlights

While I don't have those, I did have the Sylvania Silverstars in my Cherokee - they were excellent - I'm picking up more for my MJ shortly.

I've been told that those other conversions can be problematic as they don't seal out moisture well and end up sometimes shorting out, frying a bulb or at least end up dirty inside. Again, no personal experience, but silicon works wonders to seal things up if it truly a worry.

Im using the cheapie H4 blingbling housings from ebay with silverstar bulbs, couldnt be happier.

hjeepxj said:
Im using the cheapie H4 blingbling housings from ebay with silverstar bulbs, couldnt be happier.

Are they brighter or provide more coverage than stock? The stock ones seem to have a narrow, forward focus, even on high beams. I'm really trying to improve the coverage more than anything, and have yet to install auxilliary lights.

CherokeeGold said:
Are they brighter or provide more coverage than stock? The stock ones seem to have a narrow, forward focus, even on high beams. I'm really trying to improve the coverage more than anything, and have yet to install auxilliary lights.

To be honest with you, I don't remember, it was 3 or so years ago that I switched...but what I do remember is that they were better than stock.

Proper dispersal patterns for low beams is low and broad, high beams should be tighter and a little closer to the centreline of the lights. A tight low beam should be replaced, because they're what you use for close-in vision and in fog to keep from flaring yourself out...

I replaced headlamps on two of my XJ's with Hella E-code reflector/lense assemblies from Susquehanna Motorsports, and I run 55W/80W Super White bulbs in my wife's 89, and 90W/130W Super Whites in my 88 (with a homebrew harness and relay/fuze setup.) Best headlights I've ever had on anything!

Also, with the cost of replacement bulbs from SMS, I come out ahead ordering from them - including shipping - when compared to local prices and California Sales Tax.

I don't do blingy things - I'm a big believer in practical. Besides, an XJ isn't a "streets only" rig - sooner or later you're going to be somewhere nowhere or off-pavement, and those projector beams aren't going to let you see everything you want. Do the job right.

Initial cose for the reflector assemblies was $80 for the pair, and most H4 bulbs from SMS are under $10 each!

Susquehanna Motorsports - www.rallylights.com

5-90

The problem i had w/ those ebay ones are that as soon as i got them wet they filled w/ water and the bulbs went, ig uess i shoudl have sealed them better.

Besides if you want those, they sell them at advance autoparts and you dont have topay shipping.

I may stick ot the siverstars because they are still a sealed beam, and maybe run nthe IPF's in my DD XJ

David

I got the 20 dollar ebay ones. They were okay, but nothing to brag about. I replaced those ricey blue bulbs they came with and put in some plain white ones, and that helped a little. All in all, my cherokee still has the worst headlights I've ever had, and I've owned 12 cars/ 3 motorcycles.

Kind of odd that an XJ would have worse headlamps than anything else with old school sealed beam lamps. They are the same bulbs that people have been using for eons with no complaints. I run the Sylvania Cool Blue lamps and they are a tad brighter and give a bit better contrast than standard halogens. I had a coupon when I got them a Pecker Auto Parts a couple years ago. They work well for me. Just adjust them correctly and don't drive faster than you can see!
When I'm offroad, I just use my Mag Lite to see things that aren't in front of me, call me crazy.

Jared:patriot:

I switched to the IPF headlight buckets and majic J bulbs 4 years ago, and couldn't have been happier, they work great, the beam is really focused. On my old stock headlights, when I would turn them on in front of a wall you would see all kinds of stray light way up high were it is not usable, but with the IPF's, the beem cuts off at the usable point and makes a line so straight you could draw a line and put a level on it. They are much better than stock. I have had no issue with water or moisture getting into the headlight buckets either. IIRC all headlights with drop in bulbs such as the aftermarket ones from E-bay , should never be completely sealed, it is almost impossible to completely seal them, and by attempting to do so, you allow moisture to enter the headlights and get trapped there. When the lights are on they get hot, and when you shut them off they cool and suck in cool air and maoisture, which may become trapped. That is why highquality aftermarket offroad lights such as the ones made by Lightforce come with breather tubes and filters.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/ipf_h4_01/

Heres a site thats got good pics, and even tells you how to change over.

I'm running sylvania silverstars. These are a lot brighter then stock. I was thinking about H4s but I'm a pizza delivery driver so i needed something right away. These bulbs are wonderful. They cast a basicly pure white light, as oppesed to the yellowish light the stocks made. Only thing I've done is adjust the bulbs so they shine down the road a lot more. After that it got even brighter, but then agian they may be adjusted a little to high, but I need that extra space of light for my job. It only cost my 50 bucks and the install was as simple as putting in stock lights.
I still got the boxs here holding the stock bulbs (anyone want to but them?). The code for the aftermarket lights are H6054 ST. Then agian the guy on the webpage says, "do it right the first time. "
Can anyone explain the different kind of bulbs that are out there, and there benifits? And probably the most important question is where can I buy these lights at?? The only auto stores around here (well schucks) only carries sylvania and thats not much of a choice at all, one brand?! And the store employee told me H4s would cost me 400-500 dollars??? Which isnt true.

Last edited:
Z22_Z33 said:
Can anyone explain the different kind of bulbs that are out there, and there benifits? And probably the most important question is where can I buy these lights at?? The only auto stores around here (well schucks) only carries sylvania and thats not much of a choice at all, one brand?! And the store employee told me H4s would cost me 400-500 dollars??? Which isnt true.

That store employee obviously has no idea what he's talking about. H4 is just a size of bulb, which you can buy at any auto parts store or even Walmart. The person you talked to must have been thinking of HID headlights, which are a completely different beast.

As far as the different kinds of bulbs you can buy, Silverstars are probably one of the better. You have your cheesy blue lights, and generic yellow lights, and even some green and purple colored lights for the idiotic. Nothing really particularly special about any of them.

DeadEyeJ said:
Kind of odd that an XJ would have worse headlamps than anything else with old school sealed beam lamps. They are the same bulbs that people have been using for eons with no complaints. I run the Sylvania Cool Blue lamps and they are a tad brighter and give a bit better contrast than standard halogens. I had a coupon when I got them a Pecker Auto Parts a couple years ago. They work well for me. Just adjust them correctly and don't drive faster than you can see!
When I'm offroad, I just use my Mag Lite to see things that aren't in front of me, call me crazy.

Jared:patriot:

My 82 S-10 had the same square headlights as the XJ's do, they were horrible, replaced them with a set of CIBIE's and ran those for 10 years, broke a lense and could not find CIBIE's anymore so I went back to stock sealedbeams and sold the truck. Got lucky when I found the Hella E codes and have been running them ever since.

David95XJ said:
The problem i had w/ those ebay ones are that as soon as i got them wet they filled w/ water and the bulbs went, ig uess i shoudl have sealed them better.

Besides if you want those, they sell them at advance autoparts and you dont have topay shipping.

I may stick ot the siverstars because they are still a sealed beam, and maybe run nthe IPF's in my DD XJ

David

Well, in the case of Hella and CIBIE's you need to make sure the boot that goes over the bulb in the back is facing the right direction. If not then you get condensation inside the housing and it has nowhere to drain to, the boot has a drain on it. Same problem with relays, need to face them pins DOWN or they get condensation inside and eventually short out from corrosion.

Z22_Z33 said:
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/ipf_h4_01/

Heres a site thats got good pics, and even tells you how to change over.

I'm running sylvania silverstars. These are a lot brighter then stock. I was thinking about H4s but I'm a pizza delivery driver so i needed something right away. These bulbs are wonderful. They cast a basicly pure white light, as oppesed to the yellowish light the stocks made. Only thing I've done is adjust the bulbs so they shine down the road a lot more. After that it got even brighter, but then agian they may be adjusted a little to high, but I need that extra space of light for my job. It only cost my 50 bucks and the install was as simple as putting in stock lights.
I still got the boxs here holding the stock bulbs (anyone want to but them?). The code for the aftermarket lights are H6054 ST. Then agian the guy on the webpage says, "do it right the first time. "

The color temp of the lights is all based on the gas used in the bulb, halogen puts out a bit towards the yellow spectrum, more towards the cooler end while xeon gas is hotter, past the yellow and towards the white end, hotter. When you see bulbs with colored lenses they are working as filters but light filters work a bit differently then other types of filters, when you color a bulb it only allows that color to get thru and blocks all the others in the spectrum. The human eye does not see well in any one particular color but really needs a whole bunch of freqs to see best with. The reason you see 'red lights' in nite working military situations is because the red light allows for quicker darkness adaption as for the blue we switched to in military flashlights I never figured that one out cept I could read grease pencil lines on map overlays a bit better than with red.

I have the Hella e-codes with 100/80 watt bulbs and 12g wiring. They were extremely bright and very focused for the two weeks that they worked, but they cant handle water. At first both lenses cracked because they get so hot, so just splashing through a puddle cracked them. A few days later I was driving through some pretty deep holes and they both filled up with water and blew the bulbs. I dont think water came in through the cracks though, i'm pretty sure it was through the bulb fixture. Both headlights were dipped underwater plenty of times. Anyways, they are great headlights if you dont see any deep water. I'm stuck driving around with my Hella 500s now. Not sure if I sould get new bulbs and silicone the housings really good, or just go with silverstars and silicone those too.

Trail Rated said:
I have the Hella e-codes with 100/80 watt bulbs and 12g wiring. They were extremely bright and very focused for the two weeks that they worked, but they cant handle water. At first both lenses cracked because they get so hot, so just splashing through a puddle cracked them. A few days later I was driving through some pretty deep holes and they both filled up with water and blew the bulbs. I dont think water came in through the cracks though, i'm pretty sure it was through the bulb fixture. Both headlights were dipped underwater plenty of times. Anyways, they are great headlights if you dont see any deep water. I'm stuck driving around with my Hella 500s now. Not sure if I sould get new bulbs and silicone the housings really good, or just go with silverstars and silicone those too.

In your case where you get the lights deep enough to inhale water I'd go with sealed beam silverstars. CIBIE used to make an E code type housing called a 'bobi', it had a small glass envelope that surrounded the bulb seperating it from the reflector and lense so when you inserted the bulb it was surrounded by that glass envelope, but I have not seen any around in years so I don't know if they still make them. If you look at military grade blackout light assemblies, like the light assemblies they use on combat vehicles, they gasket the heck out of them.
About the only thing I have had break my headlights are small rocks, usually from construction vehicles dropping pebbles off their tailgates in front of me at 60mph, the same pebbles that pretty much do in the occasional windshield.
My 550 fogs on the other hand pretty much shattered when I left them on parked with the covers on for a half hour and the covers were pretty much toasted.

Back