• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket front brakes. What are you using

He told me to get the rotors from Amazon because they are cheaper. I bought them from him though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, I just checked and for the kit, the rotors add $110 to the cost but the same rotors are $35 each on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZXS1W/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1EQWU552OZVVD&coliid=IMSDBDE3QJYXD

So if someone has OE front disc and ZJ rear disc, it appears you can use the same pads and rotors. I don't feel like pulling wheels right now so I haven't done a direct comparison but the part numbers looked the same online. Is that too much for the rears, or do I just say 'F' it and not have to worry about brakes for a few years?

Whoa now - you cannot use front rotors on the rear. Different diameters, rears aren't vented, and the surface inside of the "hat" of the rears is machined for use with the internal drum brake (parking brake).

Unless I misunderstood, in which case yes, the pads between the XJ and ZJ would be the same (if you've installed ZJ discs on the rear), but the rotors would only be cross-compatible between a 99.0-down XJ and the ZJ.

Whoa now - you cannot use front rotors on the rear. Different diameters, rears aren't vented, and the surface inside of the "hat" of the rears is machined for use with the internal drum brake (parking brake).

Unless I misunderstood, in which case yes, the pads between the XJ and ZJ would be the same (if you've installed ZJ discs on the rear), but the rotors would only be cross-compatible between a 99.0-down XJ and the ZJ.

I always forget about that useless parking brake.

Not that useless if you take the time to get everything set right.

not that i ever do.. ;)

Another vote for the Vanco kit. I've been using it for about 3 years now, and couldn't be happier. HUGE improvement over stock braking with 35" tires. A few installation pics posted in this thread.

I've been running Hawk LTS pads up front for many years and no complaints. Amazon sells them pretty cheap.

Back