• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advantages Cherokee vs Wrangler

Vertisce

NAXJA Forum User
Im just curious what offroading performance advantages that the Cherokee has over the Wrangler and the Wrangler has over the Cherokee. I had at one point considered buying a Wrangler for my wife before we go the car instead. But just out of curiosity I wanna know what you people think or know from experience on this issue.

difrent wheel bases, difrent suspension setups, ones a uni-body *tear* and the other has a real frame. and alot more advantages/ disadvantages. it all depends on what your doing with your jeep.

The Cherokee is an extremely capable vehicle that can be also practical. You can go and do errands around town, pick up furniture, and go rock krawling. The wrangler is limited here.

The unibody is, is interesting to say the least. It provides for some funny issues but as far as I have gone, I have been able to improve and/or repair any surprises I have had. I ripped off some suspension mounts on my XJ. I know stock mounts can rip off of the frame of a wrangler too so I don't feel too special. I do like the frame idea but again, the unibody is very workable (everything is structural so certain projects allow for interesting results).

The wheelbase is definitly an advantage (in my eyes). A covered roof and air conditiong (I live in a desert) are real nice. A nice stereo and higher security is a plus too.

Like it was said earlier, it all depends on what you want out of your Jeep.

cracker said:
The Cherokee is an extremely capable vehicle that can be also practical. You can go and do errands around town, pick up furniture, and go rock krawling. The wrangler is limited here.

The unibody is, is interesting to say the least. It provides for some funny issues but as far as I have gone, I have been able to improve and/or repair any surprises I have had. I ripped off some suspension mounts on my XJ. I know stock mounts can rip off of the frame of a wrangler too so I don't feel too special. I do like the frame idea but again, the unibody is very workable (everything is structural so certain projects allow for interesting results).

The wheelbase is definitly an advantage (in my eyes). A covered roof and air conditiong (I live in a desert) are real nice. A nice stereo and higher security is a plus too.

Like it was said earlier, it all depends on what you want out of your Jeep.

X2 ..... as for the wheelbase being an advantage??.... some situations yes and in some others no.... the wheelbase monster can get you no matter what the wheelbase

jeepinandy said:
X2 ..... as for the wheelbase being an advantage??.... some situations yes and in some others no.... the wheelbase monster can get you no matter what the wheelbase

Totally true. As far as the wheelbase, I see it as more of a slight advantage out in my area (I guess personal preference)

You can lie the back seat down in your cherokee and gets some tail....impossible unless your a contortionist or a dwarf in a wrangler.

What more do you need ?

lol. I dont see why this is the wrong forum. There are plenty of people here who own both I am sure. Anyway...yeah...getting some tail is where it really matters.

red91inWA said:

Are those the ones with the big fingers?

Vertisce said:
getting some tail is where it really matters.

You should get a van then. LOL

I wanted a Wrangler Unlimited, but liked my old XJ. Was totalled.

For us the XJ was more practical as a family trail rig. Hauls everthing I need. Have more interior room for tools parts, stereo, OBA, Sleeping bags, tents, two kids, wife, dog, etc...

Jason

1. It would be easier to list what is the same between the two NOT what the advantages/disadvantages are. They are like comparing Apples and Oranges (both fruit, but totally different vehicles).

2. This IS the wrong forum.

Michael

The XJ is a great all around vehicle, especially for my family. Can take all 4 of us to the trails, camping and haul all the gear in the process. I could not do that with a wrangler. Unless of course you buy a new unlimited, which brings the other benefit to a XJ. Cost. They are cheap and for the most part reliable. To build an XJ that will last a long time on the trail requires braces, stiffening ect. A wrangler requires alot less strengthening to keep the creeks and cracks away.

T&A-XJ said:
A wrangler requires alot less strengthening to keep the creeks and cracks away.

You said it. I hadn't been on the trail for a long time until this Spring...and that first trip back had me thinking the XJ was going to fall apart. :D

Back