• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adopt-A-Trout - A Rescue Tellico Fundraiser

damn, im conflicted, i have two cabins in tellico and have been fly fishing there all my life, and i love to offroad my xj.
You should not be conflicted. The problem is not with us its the FS mismanagement and seeding of off species of trout. Is the Tellico water shead the only place to find trout? So why not shut it down to fishing for a year or two just like they have shut down the trails. Makes sence to me.

well from my understanding there is some specific breed of trout thats only found there, and thats why they shut it down. i might be totally off, but i never went up there to wheel i went to fish and unwind.

actually brook trout are found all over the appalachian mountains in the cold water streams in upper elevations
Yes brook are the ones that TU suposedly want to protect. The problem lies in the seeding of the river with ranbow and brown trout. Both are a more agressive speciaes and are beating the brook out of their natural food and causing the problems.

That is one of the main problems but there are more problems other than rainbows and browns to blame. I researched brookies when I was in school at UT for a wildlife and fisheries major.

You mind shareing some of your findings? Just wondering what you might add to the understanding.

Thanks,
Mike

As a once dedicated trout fanatic and until several years ago proud member of TU, I'm increasingly pissed off by their actions.

For the last ten years, TU has gotten too big and focuses more on sustaining itself than on protecting trout.

You only have to drive a short piece in any direction to see formerly thriving streams that have been ruined by subdivisions and commercial businesses. Instead of fighting for these streams, TU pulls stupid crap like shutting down Tellico. If they would put 1/1millionth of the effort they spent on Tellico on other areas then trout would be more abundant all over the southeast.

I've rode Tellico and I've fished Tellico. If you want the trout there to survive, leave them alone and limit the amount of fishing, period. TU refuses to acknowledge overfishing as the cause of any problems, but I understand that it's hard to see clearly with their heads planted squarely in your ass.

You mind shareing some of your findings? Just wondering what you might add to the understanding.

Thanks,
Mike

Beginning in the 1800s native brook trout had almost disappeared from many streams as land was being developed, forest clear-cutting, and industrialization. Many of these streams and creeks that soon became polluted, dammed, or silted up; often became too warm for the brook trout, and then smallmouth bass, brown trout, rainbow trout, and perch were transplanted into these streams and creeks. The brown trout has replaced the brook trout in much of its once native waters. In addition to chemical pollution and algae growth caused by runoff containing chemicals and fertilizers, air pollution has also been a significant factor in the disappearance of brook trout from their native habitats. Acid rain caused by air pollution has resulted in PH levels too low to sustain brook trout in all but the highest headwaters of some Appalachian streams and creeks. Overall, I am just as mad as ya'll about the closing of Tellico but for the brook trout to come back something has to be done about the rainbows and browns being stocked. This would be a huge hurdle to overcome but it would be the best for everyone including the brook trout and their numbers would once rise back up to where they should be.

Last edited:
thats good info but heres where i get stumped... TU has closed down tellico for people driving in... but you can still go up there and fish the trout that apparently is a dying species... so if they want to save the streams and fish that reside in them... stop fishing them...

thats all im saying...

Alright, you've convinced me that I should drop the dime on this project.

In short, the TU have mis-directed their actions by opposing us and not opposing developement within the watershed as well as overfishing and the introduction of non-native species. The phrase ass-hats comes to mind.

The worst thing that could happen is Tellico would be closed to everyone and IMO that is better then just closing us out.

The worst thing that could happen is Tellico would be closed to everyone and IMO that is better then just closing us out.
IMHO this is what needs to happen. It might open their eyes to what they have done and the can of worms they have opened.

IMHO this is what needs to happen. It might open their eyes to what they have done and the can of worms they have opened.
x2 Be careful for what you ask for huh.

X Be careful for what you ask for huh.
You sir are correct. I really believe our sport is heading for privatization. I hate to say it but I have seen more private parks open and more forest close then I ever would have thought of.

I am now the proud owner of one Trout. If I catch one angler with my baby on a hook, there will be he!! To pay.:gonnablow

Back