• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add power/comfort switch to later xj's?

pressurerat said:
I know this sounds like a dumb question since the switch does the same thing, but that wont 'hurt' the tranny right? Thanks for all of the input eveyone so far!!!

Not directly. As I mentioned, the softer shifts will cause the clutches to wear slightly more rapidly, but it should not be a huge problem.

I would not worry about it wearing out the Trany if it did too many people would be sending their jeeps back to the dealer for fix. or they would hey would not have installed the switch. It might be harder on the trans but its negocible at best. It should last just as long.

i have a 92, aw4, and no switch. however, i noticed that if i floor it, it does wait till redline to shift anyway. maybe the pcm just puts it into power mode at WOT??

ps- 92 xj bone stock with k&n air beats 2008 ford ranger bone stock!! :rolleyes:

derrickdrew17 said:
I would not worry about it wearing out the Trany if it did too many people would be sending their jeeps back to the dealer for fix. or they would hey would not have installed the switch. It might be harder on the trans but its negocible at best. It should last just as long.

I have to agree. My 89 has 180K on the original transmission. I bought it with 120 on the clock from it's original owner who always drove with it in "comfort" mode. I bought it and drove the first 30K in "comfort" before making the switch (no pun intended). As I said, 180K, flushed approx. every 30K (him and me), and not an ounce of problems. Does it put more wear and tear on the transmission? Maybe, but if it does I can't imagine it's very much.

If this actually makes any kinda tech headway.. This thread'll have to be moved to 'Modified'!!! dun.dun.duun...

Back