• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

Re: Acetone will increase MPG?!?!

Again, for the first part. Any downsides long term for usage.

RichP Any downsides to acetone ? can it damage anything long term ? I would think that if it really increased milage it would already be in there.

RichP Again, for the first part. Any downsides long term for usage.

I'm wonder that too, I've discussed this with my father, and so far, he isn't buying it. Most mechanics (including Dad) I've mentioned this to think all that all thats happening is the fuel system is getting one hell of a cleaning.

My concern on this is what will it do to aluminum, rubber, and plastic fuel system components.
Dad thinks it will corrode the aluminum parts as well as the rubber (and yes I know they come in cheap steel containers, which are just that, steel )

I talked to a customer at work to has had a couple of hot rodded Camaros, as well as being a fellow RC'er. He's used acetone to get the tires and rims apart on his RC's and has had mostly good luck with the plastic rims, but the tires would swell up in the stuff then as they dried out they would start to flake apart. Normally these tires were some form of rubber compound.

I put two bottles of Cheveron With Techron in my '98 Limited which now has 79K on it. In the 6 days between the that fill up and the fill up I did on this past monday my milege went from about 15.3mpg for the previous week up to 16.6mpg in this past week with a little more fuel than normal left in the tank, all without change in driving habits. Since Monday I've also started slowing down my driving have so raised my truck calculated average milege from a too high 16 flat mpg to a v so far varying 17.3-17.9 truck calculated mpg. I've also just dropped below 1/2 a tank on the way home from work today. I'm hoping not having to drive any farther than to and from work on Sunday and Monday (I have tomorrow off and don't plan on going anywhere) and fill up before coming home Monday night. I've also noticed an improvement in performance since adding the injector cleaner too. As well as a stronger acceleration at higher engine RPM. Your guess is as good as mine is Rich.

Tarakian said:
I hate to be cynical, but why would any company do something that reduces demand for their product, unless they are unable to keep up with that demand? Its just not good business. Usually the free market works out, but not all the time.

Retail 101:

make your product better than your competitors and people will buy more of your product and less of your competitors.

BlackXJ4x4 said:
I would just invest in the oil companies :) :) :)

Caleb

Speculation like that is what is currently driving gas prices so high. Have you noticed that the barrel price for crude has remained pretty steady the last 2-3 mos.

MaXJohnson said:
Retail 101:

make your product better than your competitors and people will buy more of your product and less of your competitors.

OPEC 101

Band together with your major competitors and set your products and production together, and your remaining competition dies (or rides on your coattails), your profits go up, and you get rich! Don't get me wrong, I am all for profits, commerce depends on them, and commerce feeds all of us.

But not making this a rant, just interested. Seems like some are biased for and against acetone making a difference without fact, and unwilling to accept the possibility they are wrong, and aggressively pursuing anyone they think is of the other side.

This additive to fuel could be the best thing since the wheel, or it could be a big hoax. Only time and testing will tell. Just don't assume because someone else hasn't done it, that it isn't worth doing.

Tarakian said:
OPEC 101

Band together with your major competitors and set your products and production together, and your remaining competition dies (or rides on your coattails), your profits go up, and you get rich! Don't get me wrong, I am all for profits, commerce depends on them, and commerce feeds all of us.
So, you're thinking conspiracy?

Tarakian said:
But not making this a rant, just interested. Seems like some are biased for and against acetone making a difference without fact, and unwilling to accept the possibility they are wrong, and aggressively pursuing anyone they think is of the other side.
This was my take as well.

Tarakian said:
This additive to fuel could be the best thing since the wheel, or it could be a big hoax. Only time and testing will tell. Just don't assume because someone else hasn't done it, that it isn't worth doing.
Common sense will beat an assumption every time.

I've been testing out the acetone, doesnt seem to have made much of a difference. did 4oz to a full tank, might be idlelling smoother but not sure.

bjoehandley said:
My concern on this is what will it do to aluminum, rubber, and plastic fuel system components.
Dad thinks it will corrode the aluminum parts as well as the rubber (and yes I know they come in cheap steel containers, which are just that, steel )

I talked to a customer at work to has had a couple of hot rodded Camaros, as well as being a fellow RC'er. He's used acetone to get the tires and rims apart on his RC's and has had mostly good luck with the plastic rims, but the tires would swell up in the stuff then as they dried out they would start to flake apart. Normally these tires were some form of rubber compound.

bjoehandley said:

The solvent effects of acetone on rubber have no bearing on its reatcion to metals, Aluminum included. I could go into a long esoteric tirade about this, but it's really not worth it. In short:
******ACETONE WILL NOT EAT AWAY METALS.*******

Due to quite a few saying it worked and gas becoming $2.45 ish, I picked up some acetone yesterday. I'm not very far into it but it seems to have made a difference, I'll find out when I fill up next. I put approx 4 oz in a full tank.

verrive said:
Due to quite a few saying it worked and gas becoming $2.45 ish, I picked up some acetone yesterday. I'm not very far into it but it seems to have made a difference, I'll find out when I fill up next. I put approx 4 oz in a full tank.

Man is wish it was still that cheap here. We are paying $3.26 USD a gallon!

All this talk of why isn't it in there already.

When most soccer mom's or yuppies shop for gas do you think they care what is in it? Most of the time when you shop for gas what do you look for in your fuel? How come some companies sell 93octane and some only sell 92. How come not all states sell 93octane? Do you know what the fuel you run actually has in it?
If you owned a HD motorcycle would you know which stations to stop at to buy fuel so it didn't harm your injectors?(I'm under the assumption that anywhere that sells 93 octane is bad for it.)

It's all about the dollar. They got it. They control it. And you will continue to buy whatever they sell.

America thrives on cheap fuel not the best fuel!
Look at the guy from Australia $3.26 a gallon. We are having a fit at $2.50. SUVs/trucks will be selling like crazy for way less than they are worth. If you are so concerned about gas milage rush out and buy a hybrid only to find out batteries are going to break you at some point. Or you can alway buy one of the little reliable vehicles that gets around 30 miles to the gallon, and be unhappy with the performance the entire time you own it.

Most of us are on this forum because we waste money on our vehicles and then put them in situations that could potentially destroy there parts or the whole thing. But we try to nickle out our fuel. In the long run is the pennies you save worth the headache it costs? Money aside.

It just quite now because I am ranting. I will appoligize in advance for anyone (yuppies, soccer moms, any tree hugger that is out there) I offend.

Gojeep said:
Man is wish it was still that cheap here. We are paying $3.26 USD a gallon!

I feel your pain but this increase in gas prices in the US happened in a very short period of time. It probably wouldn't be a big deal if it took several years for it to get this high. We've been lucky for so many years though, it's probably time to start paying our dues.

what are your gas taxes compared to ours?

Europe pays much more for gas as well, but my understanding is that a huge part of that is their taxes on it. Also, as with most things it's cheaper to buy in bulk, and the US certainly buys in major bulk.

by the way, it's all China's fault

The fuel climbed quickly here too with it going up 15 cents a litre in the last 2 weeks alone. When it was $1 a litre a few weeks ago, 47 cents of that went in taxes!

Not wanting to jump the gun here, but I ran an ounce of acetone in 10 gal of gas over the weekend in my 01. I can't speak for increased mileage just yet, but the overall feel of the engine is just like I threw a fresh tuneup on it. Nice and crisp throttle response, and nice smooth idle, which I didn't have before.

Also did homework on the BG 44K additive and ordered some of that to try,
anything sensible to help squeeze more out of of $2.50 gal gasoline.

Gojeep said:
I looked into Acetone down in Oz yesterday and you guys have it good. The best I could get was buying it at the hardware store in 4 litre tins for $29 AUD. That works out to be about a gallon for $22.50 USD. Hell of a lot more than your sub $9 but if I get the same 3-5 mpg increase it would still pay.
Looking on with great interest :)
For those in OZ looking to purchase a smaller amount.
KMART sells 1 litre tins of 100% Acetone for $10.99 AUD (in the paint section).

freelance1000 said:
For those in OZ looking to purchase a smaller amount.
KMART sells 1 litre tins of 100% Acetone for $10.99 AUD (in the paint section).
Thanks mate but only only thing there is one other Aussie on this forum from time to time :)
They had 1 litre tins at Mitre 10 too but worked ot more expensive than buying 4 litres at a time. I will try it on my next holiday where I am filling up every day or so rather than once a month as I do now. Might evaporate in the tank before I can use it! Really depends if it says in solution well enough to prevent that from happening?

yuppiexj said:
My results thus far:

93 k2500 'Suburban on 35s last 4 tanks were 12.4-12.6 mpg.
12.6 was the last tank immediately following oil change 3 weeks ago (negligible difference but worth noting)

Gas light comes on at 390 miles +- 5 miles like clockwork (1/8 by the gauge)

I have 440 miles on the trip odometer and still read over 1/4 tank.
I'm dying to refill to check the actual mileage.
BTW it has a 42 gallon tank.

I'm still in anecdotal evidence mode. I will post the actual numbers when I fill up on Monday.

My XJ got the acetone treatment and has been in the body shop for the last 2 weeks (rear ended by a dodge minivan not pretty FOR THEM)
I will also post XJ specific numbers next week sometime.

93 tank (k2500 suburban)
8oz in a 42 gallon tank

485.6 miles on 36.348 gallons yields 13.36 mpg.
Previous high was 12.6 ~ 6% improvement.

Increase is probably more since we have have started using the A/C now.
none of the previous tanks had any A/C miles.

Back