• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

read again:it says 2 ounces not 4 for every 10 gallons.i have been using it for the past 3 tanks.everyday i do the same thing.45 miles to school 45 back.except on the weekend to wheel i don't drive any other time.i leave after letting it warm up equally everytime.i am also gentle on it so it's not just my wishful sugary pill doing the work.i got about 16 on the highway and now with the acetone i am getting consistant 20-21.here;s the kicker:MOST PEOPLE DON'T TAKE CARE OF THEIR S#$@!!if you are reading some of these guys posts they are going from around as low as 9-10mpg to as much as 20.the reason is because they had a ton of crap in their system.i have a couple friend with jeeps(and i am thinking of one in particular:anon: )who if i did'nt remind him to check his oil in his 88 with 294,000 he would'nt be driving it 2 yrs ago LOL.never changes his oil.my pet peeve is people who just expect cars to last forever with zero maitenance.AAARRRRHGG!!!

Anyone thought of using a block heater like a diesel, to avoid the cold start richness from even being needed? Would be easy to use with a wall socket timer for those of us on the same time cycle.
I just purchased a 97 with 89k on it, I drive the same 120 miles round trip to school 5 days a week. I am already half a tank down with no treatment at all, I'll do something different and run the DK cleaner on the injectors and see if I get an increase that holds afterwards. Then get a clean system baseline and try acetone after to see if it goes up.
Timing and compression ratio<carbon buildup> may have to do with why some have better results though.

Trailbst said:
I'll throw this out there. 3 variables in the equation. You tell me what had the greatest affect.

Drove from RI to MI. I had the spare on the roof. Got 14.5 MPG average for the 750 mile trip.

Drove from MI to RI. Took the spare off the roof.

Put the spare on the trailer with the 2 Motorcycles, bin with stuff in them and a D300. Used roughly 3.5 oz of Acetone per tank on the trip back. Mileage went like this: 14.5, 15 15.5, 16.5, 16.5 MPGs

That's towing a trailer back through the mountains.

I don't know!

Pulling the spare off the top may have helped more than you think.

Many years ago we had a 1st generation Honda Accord hatchback. We also had what may be the worlds smallest tent trailer, so small that it wasn't visible out the rear view mirrors.
Plenty of added weight for a small car but as long as we kept to the 'flat lands' the mileage didn't decrease at all. I think that the trailer cleaned up the air flow enough to keep the mileage up, but if we hit ANY hills power and mileage went down the tubes.

Ted Young said:
My friend graduated from Rutgers with a degree in Chem E and a 3.99999 GPA. I asked him about the Acetone and Toluene. He told me that the acetone will act as a solvent and clean stuff out, but that the MPG improvment is most likely due to the fact that the engine has been cleaned out and can therefore run more efficiently. He said that they never used acetone or toluene as addatives in gas and that it doesn't make sense that they would raise octane.

Just passing this along.

Gasoline already contains a small percentage of toluene.

Can I add acetone to 89 oct 10% ethanol blend gas? I use it because it is always 5-10 cents cheaper than regular gas here in Iowa. Will it be better to run tank out and switch to regular 87 oct then add acetone?

rustysxj said:
two years going
and we still dont have an answer.. -_-

This topic is like a hat....... One size kinda maybe sorta fits some people

It works in my junk, but may not work in yours. I get 2-3 mpg more with it, you may lose mpg. But I WILL be using it in my new 550HP 351 windsor motor :yelclap:

this is like the thread that wouldn't die. I use it to clean out my fuel lines once every few months, but I've never seen any difference in using it for every change. I had a newer cherokee though,2000.

Adding my 2cents, I ran two tanks worth. Helped mpg so that i am now getting a steady 18 mixed mileage over 16.5-17 before. I am going to assume it works like a super duper de gunker... I will run it every other tank for a bit and see what it cleans out.

old_man does Advance Auto, Auto Zone, NAPA, Pep Boys, etc., sell BG44k?

Back