• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

BG44K...search online. It's hard to find in stores, though shops or dealerships usually have it on hand.

As for the fuel...I usually own at least one boosted car (turbo or supercharged). Right now, I have one of each (Corrado with a S/C and Volvo with a turbo). I run high boost in both of them, and I have always used toluene to raise the octane. It's easy to calculate the effective octane; you add up the total amount of 91 in the tank and the total amount of toluene (114 octane r+m/2), and divide the total by the number of gallons in the tank.

I would mix up to 30% toluene with 70% pump premium (91 here). However, this was just to fight detonation when running 20+psi. Since I drive the piss out of these cars and only mix the special brew for racing, I have never noticed any increase in fuel economy.

My 4.0L has 75k on it, and runs well. I don't think there's much gunk on the inside. It's had it's share of cleaners passed through it.

If you really want to increase MPG that badly, make a front airdam or a bellypan to help the aerodynamics. If your car sees any freeway miles, this would make at least as much of a difference as the acetone, if not more.

I picked up over 1mpg (over 20 miles per tank) on my Volvo by putting a sheet of aluminum under the rear of the car, no other changes made. Looking at how uneven the underside of the XJ is, I'm pretty sure you could see a substantial gain here.

Hi Guys. Yes acetone will help gas mileage. I use it. It helps a little. Aprox. 1-4 MPG gain is what I have seen. The bad news is alcohol limits the gain. And now everywhere there is 10% ethyl added to it.
The correct amount to add is 3.5 - 4 ounces per 10 gallons of gas. Depends on the quality of gas you are using.
Acetone enables the gas to burn more evenly and removes surface tension, sort of speaking. Emissions go down also. Use pure acetone; no junk. The best place to get it is from a beauty supply store. The chics use it to remove nail polish.

<smacks forehead> This very thread contains a scientific debunking of the acetone myth by mythbusters.

If anyone replies with "all I know is I get 1 to 2 more MPG with acetone": here is your reply: it cleaned your injectors now you can stop using it for a while.

placebo's (sugar pills) when presented as real drugs, have done everything from curing headaches, to making people lose weight, the power of the human mind to percieve something that is NOT REAL when it wants to, is amazing. And extremely well documented in this thread :confused1

Want to get a real MPG increase? Go here: gassavers.org where among other things like real mods (aerodynamics) and driving techniques that will get you gains -- you will also find thorough debunking of acetone, by people who would dearly love to find something that improves the fuel efficiency of every tank full.

1bolt said:
<smacks forehead>
Want to get a real MPG increase? Go here: gassavers.org where among other things like real mods (aerodynamics) and driving techniques ...

Lots of BS over there too. Like the madeup mileage figures some people seem to be quoting. This includes the 2006 Civic Hybrid claiming 82 mpg - yeah I bet he forgot to mention he's modified it and plugs it in at night.

Wow. The amount of BS in this thread is overwhelming. Acetone does absolutely nothing for mileage. The way I tested it way back when was to add it to the tank in the wife's car without telling her. That way there was zero bias in the way she was driving. I simply filled her tank for her and watched the mileage. Average of 5 tanks without and average of 5 tanks with and there was ZERO difference. But hey, keep telling yourselves there is...

My dad taught me to drive using a vacuum gauge (my first car was 396ci). I wonder if that might still be helpful 40 years later? Gas is nearly free these days anyway.

I'm wary about any of the "miracle" cures ... and especially of putting paint thinner in my fuel system. maybe this works, but maybe it doesn't -- and I'm not about to find that out by having to replace whatever seals/fuels lines that have deteriorated by being in contact with acetone. I'll just pay for the gas.

Also don't know where the article gets off saying that propane is the ideal fuel -- it has less milage and less energy/ liter than gas. It may be a worthy alternative fuel to consider, but it is far from ideal.

Too many half-baked thoughts and conclusions in this article to take it seriously.

Last edited:
Back