• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accumulator replacement?

If he can prove that the accumulator needed to be replaced, yeah, I'd say it's reasonable to pay a bit more. If the accumulator was fine and he mis-diagnosed it, it should be on him IMO.

If he can prove that the accumulator needed to be replaced, yeah, I'd say it's reasonable to pay a bit more. If the accumulator was fine and he mis-diagnosed it, it should be on him IMO.

You took it to him for repair--did you ask him to replace the accumulator and/or orifice? If you told him what to do, and he did it like you said, then it is on YOU.

If you took it and said the a/c isn't working, fix it and I will pay you, then it is on him. It was HIS responsibility to test the system and make sure it wasn't quitting out. Now, that said, if there is an extremely slow leak of coolant from another area of the system, then you should pony up some bucks for another issue. However, he should have pulled vacuum and checked to make sure it would hold--hence the extremely slow leak comment above, and he should have rechecked the system after if sat for a few hours/ran for a few hours--his professional responsibility. If he had done that, then called you and told you there was another problem, then he wouldn't have egg on his face and you wouldn't have no a/c.

Please do work with him to get it resolved. Most shops are run by honest and hard working people that TREASURE their reputations.

thanks for the advice. I dropped the jeep off with him this morning. On the way up it blew cold air for the 20 minute drive. I stopped at a local car wash before the mechanics and popped the hood. The compressor clutch was fully engaged. I then shut off the car and restarted it. The compressor clutch was no longer engaged and it began blowing warm air.

Got a call this afternoon from the mechanic saying that he determined that the issue is the compressor clutch pack and that the compressor is receiving power but won't engage the clutch. After much discussion and some negotiation, I told him that I'd pay for difference in price between the accumulator and compressor but not pay for labor to install the new compressor. So, I'd pay the original $530 listed above plus cost of the compressor less cost of the accumulator. He had found a compressor and said it would be around $350 ish for the compressor (new compressor with new compressor clutch).

Does this sound like a reasonable deal? The guy apologized a thousand times and thanked me for my business. I'm pretty happy with the level of service this guy has provided.

Sounds good to me, and it sounds like a stand up guy in a good shop.

Got the revised estimate for the work to be done. He quoted me $479.00 for a new compressor with a 1 year warranty without any labor and took off the cost of the accumulator and labor to install the accumulator. Total additional out of pocket will be $291.25 after parts and tax.

I might be beating a dead horse here.. but what are the average profit margins for mechanics on parts? I found 35% via a search through google. I just thought the cost of the compressor was kind of high but here is what I found when price comparison:

Vendor - Model - Cost - Profit Margin
Rock Auto - Four Seasons - $214.79 - 55%
Rock Auto - Denso - $329.79 - 30%
Autozone - Denso - $274.99 - 42%
Advanced - Four Seasons - $231.99 - 51%

From what I tell, if he's putting in a Denso model that I'm getting a decent deal. Thoughts?

1. Shops don't stock parts.

2. Shops don't order parts over the internet--with the rare exception of special projects.

3. Shops will source the parts through a local parts store, and the shipping/handling/parts store profit has been added to what he pays, then he is going to mark it up 35%. Now, I am willing to bet that he isn't even marking it up the full amount for you.

I have people all the time tell me they can buy the parts online cheaper. I tell them that is fine, and if they want me to install the parts I will be happy to do it UNLESS the parts are crap, then I won't install them, I also inform them that I won't provide ANY labor warranty on parts not sourced through my shop, I can't fight with some online shop for an adjustment when their part failed on a customer, and the nail in the coffin--for those vehicles that are not operational--is the storage fee I will charge while their parts are getting shipped.

Last edited:
great thanks for the response guys. I'm done beating this topic to death. I really appreciate all the help. I hope you guys understand the stress on my side - I recently found out my fiance is 2 months pregnant, I'm working 90hrs a week for my consulting job and am in the middle of trying to wrap up wedding planning for my wedding which is 3 months away.

Thanks for the help guys

Well, congratulations on the fiance, the munchkin in the oven, and the soon to be nuptials!

PS--don't stress out, and good luck to your new family!

thanks!. I should note that we've been engaged for 4 years and would have been married 3 years ago had my father not passed away. anyway we are excited about everything just trying to make headway in life.

Thanks again.

Back