• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accommodations...???

Make sure if you are using a 30 am converter that you are using a cord rated for 30 amps or a splitter like John is talking about with a breaker to trip you at 20amps. Most extension cords are only rated for 15 to 20 amps. You could cause a fire. Which while warm, probably isn't the best inside a tent.

I have a 100 ft 20 amp cord that I used to use to power the truck camper off the 30 amp plug with the adapter. After one hot weekend running the a/c the cord was almost too hot to touch.

mac 'pushing the limits' gyvr

Our pop up only has a 15 amp breaker in it. last time we had it out we tried to heaters in it and it popped the breaker. Ended up just plugging one heater into the camper and running a foretaste extension cord out to the pole to run the other heater. Worked out good for us.

In the trailer I ran cords to power heaters off the pole rather than through the trailer because they push the limits of everything.

mac 'use the pole' gyvr

Make sure if you are using a 30 am converter that you are using a cord rated for 30 amps or a splitter like John is talking about with a breaker to trip you at 20amps. Most extension cords are only rated for 15 to 20 amps. You could cause a fire. Which while warm, probably isn't the best inside a tent.

I have a 100 ft 20 amp cord that I used to use to power the truck camper off the 30 amp plug with the adapter. After one hot weekend running the a/c the cord was almost too hot to touch.

mac 'pushing the limits' gyvr

Thanks for the tip, been burned once and would rather not go through that again.
I have no idea what my cord is rated it at, so just to be safe i will probably pick up a new one that is rated for 30a

SAM'can never have to many anyways'SET

Most ceramic heaters have a single 1500 watt element. Even those with a thermostat are just turning the element on or off periodically. On a 15-amp circuit you have 1800 watts of capacity (or 2400 watts on a 20-amp), which is why you can't get away with running two heaters at once (you would need 3000 watts).

I have used the 30-amp plug adapter followed immediately by a cube-tap, and then two separate extension cords. Because the cube-tap is so short and uses formed metal tabs inside instead of wire, the risk of using it to carry the extra current is a lot less than asking the same of an extension cord. This way you can use standard extension cords since the high-amperage cords are expensive.

The best thing I've bought though is a Stanley heater with low and high settings. It has two separate elements and can use 875 W or 1500 W. On the 875 W setting you can safely run two of these on a 15-amp circuit. I found that's still enough to keep me plenty warm.

Most ceramic heaters have a single 1500 watt element. Even those with a thermostat are just turning the element on or off periodically. On a 15-amp circuit you have 1800 watts of capacity (or 2400 watts on a 20-amp), which is why you can't get away with running two heaters at once (you would need 3000 watts).

I have used the 30-amp plug adapter followed immediately by a cube-tap, and then two separate extension cords. Because the cube-tap is so short and uses formed metal tabs inside instead of wire, the risk of using it to carry the extra current is a lot less than asking the same of an extension cord. This way you can use standard extension cords since the high-amperage cords are expensive.

The best thing I've bought though is a Stanley heater with low and high settings. It has two separate elements and can use 875 W or 1500 W. On the 875 W setting you can safely run two of these on a 15-amp circuit. I found that's still enough to keep me plenty warm.

So while im reading this, im wondering if my method is the same or is im way off and trying to start fires.

i (would have) gone form the post>30amp adapter> 50ft extension cord> 6 outlet surge protector> then plug in 1 light 2 space heaters and a heated throw blanket.

is that bad? :flame:

plus this is assuming that rew and i will be sharing a site, so whatever he needs to run off the same post.

or would the cube-tape method be better. and if so does that mean i should only run 3 things?

if i got the higher amp cord would my method work? if so does that surge porter need to be rated at 30amps also?

SAM'questions for learning'SET

So while im reading this, im wondering if my method is the same or is im way off and trying to start fires.

i (would have) gone form the post>30amp adapter> 50ft extension cord> 6 outlet surge protector> then plug in 1 light 2 space heaters and a heated throw blanket.

is that bad? :flame:

plus this is assuming that rew and i will be sharing a site, so whatever he needs to run off the same post.

or would the cube-tape method be better. and if so does that mean i should only run 3 things?

if i got the higher amp cord would my method work? if so does that surge porter need to be rated at 30amps also?

SAM'questions for learning'SET

Option 1:

Your 50' cord would need to be rated for 30 amps (10 gauge wire). This is going to be hard to find with a conventional 120 volt plug on the end, since most household outlets are only rated up to 20 amps. Instead you would want something like this, with a 30 amp plug:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Power-30-Amp-RV-Extension-Cord-30/16817354

Plug that directly into the pole, then plug your adapter into the end of it. Then I would run a cube tap off of that and your heaters and lights. I would be reluctant to use a surge protector for everything, because then the short cord on that surge protector is having to carry up to 30 amps and it's going to get hot.

Option 2:

Plug your adapter into the pole, followed by a cube tap. Then run multiple extension cords to your tent. Run a heater and a light off of one, and a heater and your blanket off of the other. This way, your cube tap will have to carry 30 amps (but can probably handle that fine) but each of your cords will only be carrying its part of the load (15 amps or so, fine for a typical 14 gauge extension cord).

I have done this in the past successfully (adapter and cube tap at pole, then two extension cords to different heaters).

Back