• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Conversion question

tjmotter

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Anyone seen an R-12 to R134 conversion on an XJ and can help me confirm what I think I am seeing? My '90 Laredo has been blowing cool but not cold and I was going to use the opportunity to change it over to R134 but am a little confused by what I found. The compressor has two stickers on it both of which say that it uses R-12 but the confusing thing is that the high side has an R-12 fitting while the low side has an R-134 fitting. There are no stickers anywhere saying that is has been converted. Could this be a conversion shop cutting corners and trying to save a couple of bucks on a fitting and a sticker?

The average non-tech person such as myself doesn't necessarily need a high-side fitting and lack of a sticker probably means that person (PO or a friend) did your conversion and didn't bother to affix a sticker. Been there, done that.

Not saying this is the "right" way to go about things, just saying it's not surprising.

Pros will disagree but I would try adding some 134a and see what happens. If it is cooling now, that may well be all you need.

^ I tend to agree all that can happen is that is will do nothing and you will need to do a new conversion to it.^

Back