• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Compressor Ideas

I've had these jeeps need to be jumped to get started. Don't remember how it went after I replaced everything but the evaporator in dash. Could just be the switch.

But it's over 25 years old.
I used the conversion kit from Walmart. There are all kinds of things about r134a conversion, I've done it by the book and redneck, both will work.

Um, you could see if the guy would try to charge it with the compressor jumped then undo the jump to see if the pressure switch works.

That how I got mine to charge for sure when it was on the way out. Like I said I can't remember if I had to do that when I went new, by then I had a set of gauges and vacuum pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was turning those valves (they were kinda hard to turn) as he started to introduce freon into the system. I also noticed the clutch never engaging as we were trying to add the freon.

OK then the pressure switch is bad, or the refrigerant is not getting to the pressure switch. I would go for replacing the pressure switch in that case and try again. You should pull a full vacuum on the system after that, and see if it holds the vacuum for an hour. If not you have a leak that needs to be located and fixed next. You do not want to charge a system that has air and water vapor in the lines or it can freeze up the expansion valve and cause corrosion internally!!!!

I've had these jeeps need to be jumped to get started. Don't remember how it went after I replaced everything but the evaporator in dash. Could just be the switch.

But it's over 25 years old.
I used the conversion kit from Walmart. There are all kinds of things about r134a conversion, I've done it by the book and redneck, both will work.

Um, you could see if the guy would try to charge it with the compressor jumped then undo the jump to see if the pressure switch works.

That how I got mine to charge for sure when it was on the way out. Like I said I can't remember if I had to do that when I went new, by then I had a set of gauges and vacuum pump.

OK then the pressure switch is bad, or the refrigerant is not getting to the pressure switch. I would go for replacing the pressure switch in that case and try again. You should pull a full vacuum on the system after that, and see if it holds the vacuum for an hour. If not you have a leak that needs to be located and fixed next. You do not want to charge a system that has air and water vapor in the lines or it can freeze up the expansion valve and cause corrosion internally!!!!

Awesome, thank you for all your help! I'll go get it vaccumed and converted to the 134a fill ports. I'll swap out the switch for good measure since they're only $8 locally.

I've had these jeeps need to be jumped to get started.

I think I had to do the same a few times myself. The last time was because I had leak sealer :cry: in the lines and it sealed the feed valves on my gauge set, LOL, until I jumped the clutch and got a vacuum going to draw the sealant out of the gauge valves, and got the refrigerant flowing, LOL. Never use the heavy duty sealants!!

Any idea what size fittings the r12 ports are?

No, sorry. My limited involvement with r12 I never got the tools for r12.

Does the r12 kit you linked to have the fittings?

It supposedly does have the fittings but doesn't show which fittings. I've been looking around for the fittings that you have on your Xj's ports. I searched and think they're 1/4" but just need some verification. I guess I won't know till I start buying fittings to try.

Well its whatever the standard r12 fitting is. Thing about refrigerants is at least for cars it's very specific, r12 bottle will not thread r134 equipment.

Back