• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Clutch not engaging

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
Just got another XJ ('88 Cherokee Pioneer, 4.0 L, Auto) to add to the '89 Wagoneer Limited XJ I already own, it was such a deal I couldn't pass it up. Anyway, the AC doesn't blow cold, so I started looking. Figured out the clutch isn't switching on. Thinking it might be electrical, I wired the clutch circuit directly to hot voltage...that DID make the clutch engage! Still doesn't blow cold though...probably needs a re-charge or something more costly...HaHa.

Anyway...the question. Is the circuit that operates the compressor clutch fused? My Chilton's doesn't show a fuse for the AC. Would a low freon charge cause the circuit NOT to engage? Also, on my '89, when the AC clutch is engaged, the auxiliary electric fan comes on...but not on the new (defective) '88. How can I chase this problem down?

I'd like to figure if the AC is totally shot...figure how much $$ to fix, and if too much, thinking of converting to on-board air.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

you're out of refridgerant. it won't run without it because the refridgerant also has oil in it to lube your compressor. I wouldn't run it long without having oil and refridgerant put in it, you'll burn up the compressor.

Back