• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS questions 98 ZJ/JK sensors/tone rings

IdahoEagle

NAXJA Forum User
I'm seriously thinking about buying a 98 5.9 Limited and upgrading the axles but want to keep the ABS. I already have one found, I'm hoping to buy it before the end of the year.
For the rear I'm thinking about having a JK 44 cut down to ZJ width for a real 44, slightly larger rear discs, same parking brake cables, being able to use a normal locker, and getting normal axle bearings.
I'll start the question with the rear... Does the JK use the same type of signal for the ABS as the ZJ? Part of my goal is to keep the consumable parts like rotors, pads, sensors, bearings, etc normal off the shelf parts... I can make a short adapter harness for the sensors if the connectors are different but the sensors work the same way...
As for the front, zone kind of high pinion 44 with WJ knuckles and either WJ or Dodge 1500 brakes. Will the WJ or 1500 ABS sensors work with the ZJ system?
It's not going to be a serious rock crawler, but it will see moderate trail use. Mainly a good all around rig that cleans up well and can road trip on 33s or 35s but be able to stop them like the factory brakes stop when you really have to. It's on a 4" lift now, and will stay that height. The wheel pattern change isn't an issue for me because I'm already planning on different wheels and tires for it...
Does anyone know the ABS systems well enough to answer these questions for me so I can figure out what I need to do to make this goal happen?

I looked around on the auto-repair information site I use at work and can't find any real signal information for the sensors. I know the ZJ sensor isn't used in other vehicles, but that doesn't necessarily mean the signal output changed.
Rock Auto lists a 54 tooth reluctor ring for the D35 rear axles on a ZJ.
RA also lists a 52 tooth reluctor the front of a JK.
I think this is a question for a man with a JK, a ZJ and an oscilloscope.
I would be willing to try JK sensors / tone rings with the harness modified to be controlled by a ZJ computer on my own rig, though no guarantees.
Also - the Dana 44A is damned stout in terms of bearings, R&P etc. I hear it is actually a stronger diff than the 44 - just put a truss across the tubes & maybe incorporate a BTF diff cover and I think you'll be axle, as well as dollars, ahead.

Except that the 44a only has a lunchbox locker available and the JK 44 has a bigger ring and pinion, brakes, and plenty of selectable lockers to choose from and is cast iron, less issues with the housing...

Really? When did they come out? When I checked a couple years ago before I bought my last ZJ, there was only a lunchbox locker available for the 44a...

It's true, ARB did just bring out an air locker for the 44a... And some information I found out on this whole brake upgrade thought... The ZJ uses a 54 tooth tone ring that's 3.50" O.D. and the JK uses a 52 tooth that's 3.54" O.D... It's a close enough O.D. that the ZJ ring can be used in the JK ends and work without throwing a code. The important detail with them is the tooth count has to be the same as what it started as. The O.D. has to be really close too...
I'm going to do things in steps. The ZJ axles will get a brake upgrade before I put beefier axles under it with lockers and better gears. I'll be using complete front WJ brakes and knuckles and unit bearings with the 5 on 5" pattern and WJ backing plates and brakes with alloy shafts for the ZJ drilled for 5 on 5"... That way it will get an inch larger rear brakes, inch and a half in the front with twin piston calipers and keep my ABS...
One big question I have is can I keep with 15" steel wheels on the front? The ZJ I'm buying has new 33" KM2s on it and I want to keep them for a while...

The ZJ uses a 54 tooth tone ring that's 3.50" O.D. and the JK uses a 52 tooth that's 3.54" O.D... It's a close enough O.D. that the ZJ ring can be used in the JK ends and work without throwing a code. The important detail with them is the tooth count has to be the same as what it started as. The O.D. has to be really close too...
The other option is relocating the ABS sensor to move it the correct distance from the tone ring. .

Hmm... Does anyone know what the tooth count and O.D. for a rear WJ tone ring is? I guess that's a bit more relevant for this part of the swap because of the WJ brake swap front and rear...

Back