• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Rubicon Express customer testimonial ...

some people seem to think that good customer service means replacing everything they ever sold you for free. Try running your own business sometime, then complain about them not giving you money out of their pocket to replace something because it *might* fail.

I don't care if they give me one, two, or twelve springs at this point. I'm not really interested in putting anymore RE products on my Jeep. Plenty of people have had positive encounters with their products - I haven't, so that's that. Time to try something different. I personally think a new set of springs would have been the right thing to do, given that the "concern" of the Jeep leaning was first voiced by Mike, not me. If I were a new customer I couldn't nor would I want to buy a single spring, and RE wouldn't sell me a single spring, so why warranty me a single spring, especially in light of their "concerns"?

Anywho, I digress. My biggest complaint is that not once but twice an RE product has failed rather untimely, and in both instances the first question I was asked was about road salt. Over half of the 50 states use some form of road salt in the Winter, some more excessively than others, and you're telling me your seals and your finishes are knowingly incapable of withstanding it? I was also told that this particular incident isn't "unheard of". This tells me that they're aware of a flaw in their products, they're just not addressing it.

I'm going to see if chrysler will mail me a new XJ, cause mine spent most of its life in Toledo and its rusty now. I mean they build em there, they should have known this would happen.

I've seen coil springs break, usually stock and usually at the bottom of the bucket. I run Re coils and leafs, and have nothing bad to say. Kinda shocked the RE coil broke. As for the issue of having a set replaced, it isnt going to happen. They will cover the defective part and that will be all. Like someone said throw another coil spring isolator on the old side. I run and beat the 4.5 coils and love them. Dont write re off over a defect like this.

On the other hand the re shocks suck the big one. I had edelbrock Ias I believe, they were garbage. I paid good money for em and gave them away to replace with some sweet bilsteins. I did some searching later and found out they were rebranded re's.

In your messages to Re (which should really be directed to your vendor) You should really refrain from half threats and bringing up competitors product as this gets you NOWHERE.
I recommend taking the spring, installing it ,seeing how things sit,and see what it takes to correct things. I deal with only trusted vendors as they know me from doing business, and act as a middleman and can make things right for me if I have a problem down the road. Good luck

Oh and we have salt on our roads 4-5 months a year and have yet to have a suspension failure to due with salt corrosion

I don't care if they give me one, two, or twelve springs at this point. I'm not really interested in putting anymore RE products on my Jeep. Plenty of people have had positive encounters with their products - I haven't, so that's that. Time to try something different. I personally think a new set of springs would have been the right thing to do, given that the "concern" of the Jeep leaning was first voiced by Mike, not me. If I were a new customer I couldn't nor would I want to buy a single spring, and RE wouldn't sell me a single spring, so why warranty me a single spring, especially in light of their "concerns"?

Anywho, I digress. My biggest complaint is that not once but twice an RE product has failed rather untimely, and in both instances the first question I was asked was about road salt. Over half of the 50 states use some form of road salt in the Winter, some more excessively than others, and you're telling me your seals and your finishes are knowingly incapable of withstanding it? I was also told that this particular incident isn't "unheard of". This tells me that they're aware of a flaw in their products, they're just not addressing it.

If I buy a replacement shock spring from the dealer or aftermarket they are going to tell me to pound sand after the year warranty expires so why are your expectations so high? I've had and seen more issues/problems from some other companies you have listed.

Coil springs have occasionally failed, it's not unheard of. And considering the places people go and things they do using RE springs, it's not unheard of for a spring to break. If your account of your driving is correct, then yeah, it seems a bit odd for it to break.

I understand your side of the claim, but expecting 2 springs to be warrantied when only one actually failed is a bit much. If only one is broke, that's all that should be expected to get fixed.

I had their monotube shocks, and they all went bad. I also had a slight lean, and it made no impact on driveability. It has since settled out even.

I had an RE lift that I got from Fullsizexj a few years back.

ALL the shocks blew/broke within a year. RE monotubes aka edelbrock...

The lift itself was pretty high quality and I would buy one again, just no shocks.

Sucks the coil broke, but at least they are offering a replacement after 3 years.
If it leans throw a coil spacer or snag some acos.

I understand being upset, but after 3 years you surely cant expect them to do much more than they offered.

I went in with no expectations of getting anything. My original e-mail never asked for a replacement, only voiced my concerns that a coil spring broke on a highway-rider and that this was the second product that's failed on the Jeep. I did expect some approximation of "customer service", whatever that may be.

When he offered to replace one spring but voiced his concerns about the Jeep not sitting level, I had hoped he would address his own "concerns" and just send me a new set. He's concerned that their products fail due to road salt, yet they've done nothing about it, and he's concerned that the Jeep might not sit level, yet he's doing nothing about it. This is my problem - don't just voice your concerns, address them. If you can talk to me over the phone and tell me that your shock seals and powdercoat finishes don't stand up to road salt, then why are you still using them? There are other companies who aren't having these issues - do some R&D and fix the problem. That's the only thing I want out of this ... a solution. Not for me specifically, but for future customers who turn to RE for "quality." That's why this was posted - to inform and bring their "concerns" to light, so that hopefully they'll address them.

You surely don't believe that I thought by posting this on NAXJA I'd miraculously get a new set of springs in the mail Next Day Air? I don't want their springs, at least not until concerns are addressed and improvements are made...

I dunno guys, I know a lot of you are loyal to RE but I don't think this case is so cut and dry. Coils are bought and sold as a set, 3 years had passed since he bought these who knows who RE express is getting their coils from or if they are even made the same way.

I agree that RE did everything they had promised to do and I am happy to see that but I would think things that are known to change once they are installed should be handled a little differently.

take it to pirate!

This :)

RE makes good stuff and they were going to replace something you've been beating on for 3 years. I don't know what you're whining about.

I think someone has no clue what the definition of "customer service" is. It is not "oh no I have a problem, replace everything for me for free!"

I did expect some approximation of "customer service", whatever that may be.

They offered to send you a new coil spring to fix your broken one after 3 years, what the heck do you think customer service is?

Powder Coat is not a magic metal covering. Nothing stands up to road salt for long, especially if it is not cleaned constantly. Springs flex, and powder coat will not stay flexy. Shocks corrode. The only way to protect a shock seal is to boot it.

It seems to me that RE did exactly what I would expect them to, extend the warranty to cover your one broken spring. That's all they were liable for under the warranty anyway. Not your labor, not your tires, not your... whatever.

But wait... You don't want to use their product anymore...

I worked in retail customer service for 20 years. I know your type.
"I'll NEVER shop in your store again!!" The next day you see them there looking at appliances.:rolleyes:

Ron

I think someone has no clue what the definition of "customer service" is. It is not "oh no I have a problem, replace everything for me for free!"

They offered to send you a new coil spring to fix your broken one after 3 years, what the heck do you think customer service is?

That's what I think customer service is, and kudos to them for that. I've already said that I see his point - one broke, replace one. I get that. Move on.

I don't want one spring, I don't want two springs, I want him to address his "concerns." I was already pissed that I was asked about road salt both times a product failed, because clearly they know there's an issue there - so fix it. It merely added fuel to the fire when he was only willing to offer me one spring despite his "concerns" about the Jeep sitting level. Your concerns don't mean crap unless you do something about them. If they take this case and actually address the issues and improve their product, I'll be happy. If they shove it in File 13 and never speak of it again, then piss on 'em.

Powder Coat is not a magic metal covering. Nothing stands up to road salt for long, especially if it is not cleaned constantly. Springs flex, and powder coat will not stay flexy. Shocks corrode. The only way to protect a shock seal is to boot it.

It seems to me that RE did exactly what I would expect them to, extend the warranty to cover your one broken spring. That's all they were liable for under the warranty anyway. Not your labor, not your tires, not your... whatever.

"I'll NEVER shop in your store again!!" The next day you see them there looking at appliances.:rolleyes:

Ron

The shocks were booted. Some say this was my problem ... who knows.

I'll gladly buy from RE again if they start making a better product that stands up to the conditions where I live. Until then, there's plenty of other shops around.

Ron

Are you saying that you would have 0 qualms driving a vehicle that sat 1 inch different between the driver's and passenger's side? Would you be comfortable putting your family in said vehicle? Springs are sold in a set for a reason. Why not give RC, RE, OME, Rusty's, or any of the big brands a call and ask for 1 coil spring and see what they say. I've got a fiance & 3 kids, and I'd be damned if I would. If I were in that case, I'd go with a vendor that was willing to stand by their product in light of their "concerns" in not replacing the other spring.

Basically it comes down too either it's dangerous (which in that case the OP should have gotten a set of springs), or it's no big deal. In which case the "customer service" rep was pushing the OP to spend money something that's not needed. That's the problem with retail, they don't give you what you need and try to sell you crap you don't need.

Basically it comes down too either it's dangerous (which in that case the OP should have gotten a set of springs), or it's no big deal. In which case the "customer service" rep was pushing the OP to spend money something that's not needed. That's the problem with retail, they don't give you what you need and try to sell you crap you don't need.

That's my point. If you're so concerned you'd warranty them as a set. If you're only giving me one spring, then your "concern" about the Jeep's camber sounds more like a sales pitch for spring number 2.

Are you saying that you would have 0 qualms driving a vehicle that sat 1 inch different between the driver's and passenger's side? Would you be comfortable putting your family in said vehicle? Springs are sold in a set for a reason. Why not give RC, RE, OME, Rusty's, or any of the big brands a call and ask for 1 coil spring and see what they say. I've got a fiance & 3 kids, and I'd be damned if I would. If I were in that case, I'd go with a vendor that was willing to stand by their product in light of their "concerns" in not replacing the other spring.

Yes I do, in fact I've been doing it for a few years now.

Lets not get out of hand here, these aren't brake parts that you need to replace both sides at the same time, they are SPRINGS.

Surprised this hasn't happened yet.
Nominated for thinking a company owes you free springs.

Back