• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A question for you spring under guys

if you pull metric tonne packs I'm calling dibs.

I got a 44, I need the springs to DIY a metric tonne.

but yeah, if you don't bumpstop generously with the AAL the main leaf will bend right where the AAL ends.

ends really close to the eyes:

its going to get bumpstopped for sure.

Interestingly enough, using the measurements from tire to fender, I only gained 0-1" of lift, but the rear bumper is now 4.25" higher than it was before (tires + lift) the frame near the leaves only gained about 2.5" of lift.

I still need to add some 1" lift shackles and also lift the front as well and then see where its at.

mine were similar.

bent the spring eyes down.

Holy crap. No way! Even SUA ? I would think this would be better than before spreading the load on the main even further...

It seems like after the front lift is on, that the rear lifted maybe 2" total. I am adding some 1" lift shackles that I made 2" longer than stock.

yes.

You're point loading the main leaf because the AAL is a much higher spring rate. The factry ones are all evenly matched, so while they don't go the full length of the main, they also don't put pressure on an one specific spot.

Adding shackles makes it worse.
My setup was a 3" AAL that ended about there, and some chevy shackles. Bent both the main leafs after hard wheeling.

So ill just be welding on some perches and shock mounts now to go SOA . It did not net enough lift with the AAL and shackle and it would add insult to injury to ruin the leaves and having no lift - maybe netted like 2.75" -3" with AAL and shackle. I picked up some 2wd leaves with stock shackles - if thats not too tall Ill pull the AAL out of the tonne leaves and try those out.

I am running Rustys 4/4.5" MJ SUA leaf springs in mine, and will run them (probably the same ones) in my next MJ build. Quite pleased aside from quality of the rubber bushings included, and the fact that they use oddball dimension bushings instead of standard XJ/MJ sizes, which led to some annoyance when putting replacements in.

These ones: http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-leaf-springs-mj-4-rear-pair.html

I am running Rustys 4/4.5" MJ SUA leaf springs in mine, and will run them (probably the same ones) in my next MJ build. Quite pleased aside from quality of the rubber bushings included, and the fact that they use oddball dimension bushings instead of standard XJ/MJ sizes, which led to some annoyance when putting replacements in.

These ones: http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-leaf-springs-mj-4-rear-pair.html

Do you by chance have the specs for replacement bushings for these? I may consider running these if I cannot build a pack to suit my needs. Can't afford Deaver, although that would be amazing.

I don't remember them offhand but the OD of the required bushings were even multiples of 1/4". I think it was 1.5" and 2"? Really not sure. Either way, slap a ruler on there, then get whatever bushings fit. I ended up overengineering it and using polyurethane rod stock off mcmaster-carr with holes bored down the centers to fit 0.875x0.120" DOM, then upgraded the leaf spring mount bolts to 5/8". Probably a waste of time and I should have just bought premade bushings, but I haven't had a single issue since then.

the 4" rustys leaves were very tempting.

At this point, I would rather have the clearance from a SOA and not have the boat anchors hanging down below the tubes.

Already have the perches and shock mounts from Barnes , and grabbed some 2wd leaves locally as well.

the 4" rustys leaves were very tempting.

At this point, I would rather have the clearance from a SOA and not have the boat anchors hanging down below the tubes.

Already have the perches and shock mounts from Barnes , and grabbed some 2wd leaves locally as well.

Well Jon, if you go SOA. Can I have your stock leaf spring plates? I need some with the shock mount for my MJ.

Back