• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Q for my fellow "Old Farts"

MarkdaleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
During a recent trip to the ugly big city for a doctor visit for the wife, we availed ourselves of the scales in the office and what do I find? At 50 I'm bang on my HS weight 30+ years ago of 174lbs./6'2". I have been over 200lbs. in younger years but since moving to the country fulltime last November everything seems to have fallen right back into line and I feel waaaay better for it. No take-out even remotely close to us helps a bit.

So how many of you have maintained or re-attained that old HS weight? Fess up:shiver:

I'm not old (18) and I'm a body builder... It's become such a part of my life I don't see how I could possibly ever let it go, or allow myself to gain any fatty weight.

Doesn't matter if you're 50. Let me know if you want to get into shape. I'll help you devise a program. :)

I haven't weighed under 200# since early high school - my track weight was 225# (at 6'3".) My "fighting" weight bounced around between 275-285#, and I've recently decided that 240-250# is a comfortable weight for me.

For those of you wondering if I'm fat - bear in mind one small fact. I am incapable of floating. Still am, even tho I do carry around a bit of a "spare tyre" these days.

The joys of being Scottish...

5-90

mdl, thanks for the offer of help but I am saddled with a 100 acre fitness program of my own doing right now. Believe me, I'm getting in shape!

I was about 5'7" and 150 lbs. in my first two years of high school. Then I shot up to 6"0" and 200 in my junior and senior years. And I have weighed as much as 230 lbs. in my years as a bouncer.

Now at age 47, I am at 180-185 lbs. and in the best shape of my life. Thanks to a physical job and mountain biking. Oh, and my Bowflex.

Well, I'm 58 and not in too bad shape. I can swim two miles without breathing hard, and pedal up Brandon Gap without getting out of my seat, but no fricken way will I ever weigh what I did in High School, or in College either. I used to be skinny and sedentary, and could eat greaseballs dipped in fat without gaining an ounce. Now I'm both fatter and fitter than I was 40 years ago. It ain't fair!

How fitting this question should be asked just now since I reached the ripe old age of 54 today. I was heavier in high school than I have been since I've been out on my own. Regular workouts and running have kept me at 155 lbs on a 5'11" frame. The girlfiriend says I could gain some weight but everythng is toned and firm so I don't worry. Being light is better on the knees anyway.

Matthew Currie said:
I could eat greaseballs dipped in fat without gaining an ounce.

Strangely, I'm the same way now as I was in my 20s and seem to burn off whatever goes in...I'm not questioning it. Maybe it will hold until I'm 90!

I went into my freshman year of college at 5'10" and 125#, by thanksgiving that year I was 150#, and by the end of the year I was 170#, I now weigh 180-185. I put on the weight by lifting and eating penut butter, I was tired of being tweeny, I did well over 150 pull-ups a day, about 500 situps a day and worked out at least once everyday in the gym, I played sand volleyball like crazy, and ran everywhere. Now I am tired at 25, and I am certain it is b/c I make no time to do those things anymore, I am as strong as ever, but my endurance isn't there anymore..really sad... I used to run 3-5 miles and stop take one deep breath and be good, right now I wonder If I could make a mile.
Guess it's time to start getting in shape huh?...thanks for the encouragement.
J

STEELFISH said:
I went into my freshman year of college at 5'10" and 125#, by thanksgiving that year I was 150#, and by the end of the year I was 170#, I now weigh 180-185. I put on the weight by lifting and eating penut butter, I was tired of being tweeny, I did well over 150 pull-ups a day, about 500 situps a day and worked out at least once everyday in the gym, I played sand volleyball like crazy, and ran everywhere. Now I am tired at 25, and I am certain it is b/c I make no time to do those things anymore, I am as strong as ever, but my endurance isn't there anymore..really sad... I used to run 3-5 miles and stop take one deep breath and be good, right now I wonder If I could make a mile.
Guess it's time to start getting in shape huh?...thanks for the encouragement.
J

Agreed. Maintaining strength is not too hard. Recouping lost endurance is brutal. I stopped running for close to a year due to a shoulder injury. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to burst a lung trying to get back what I had. No compliants though. Having had a life of regular exercise I still feel in better shape than most people my age that I know.

well i was in good shape until i went past 35 years old. between adult softball, golf and working, my back is untrustworthy. plus i've had one knee operation, i love sweets and cable t.v. you know, speed, history, spike,and A&E just to name a few. so i'm sliding downhill fast, i need to change my eating habits someday soon. i just hate working out for the heck of it, i'd rather play a sport, but the weekend warrior stuff tears me up,( especially my joints since i have arthritis) cause i'm not in shape and gettin older, it's viscious circle. it hurts to have fun sometimes, ehh.........

Back