• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A little warning for you 8.8 guys

good info though! ill be going to a 44 if i ever up-grade from my 8.25 if i ever go deeper then 4.56 not because of stength becuase i think the 8.25 is a strong enough axle for me right now

I learned all about the welds of an 8.8 in the winter of 1998. It was a nice cold wintery night in Colorado Springs and I had a very crappy day so I was in a real bad mood. I jumped in my Capri, fired up the 347 and the open dump headers started singing a song that sounded like heavy metal music to my ears, I had to toss this car around like we were in a mosh pit. At around 2AM on Union boulevard I come to a stop light and notice this cowmaro that wants to play. Light turns green and we bolt out of the box like drag strip pro's, I hit 2nd so hard I thought my quarter panel was going to scrap the ground. after the run I notice Im leaning to the side and figure I must have let some air out of the tire during a rim slip so I check it out, took a few moments and I realized what had happened. I put on the ebrake and clutch dropped it in reverse to straighten it back out till I got back home. Ever since then I will allways weld the tubes on ANY 7.5 or 8.8 axle I come across. I dont care if its in a stock 4 cylinder mustang or a full weight lincoln, it gets welded.

Jeremy

Jesus, I remember this thread from the first time around.

Back%20from%20the%20Dead.jpg

Anywho, the plug welds on my 8.8 have been completely re-done and welded all the way around. I just need the super 8.8 kit with the c-clip eliminators (which also brings the axle wms out to normal or over normal, I forget) and alloy shafts and I'll be good. :D

Coming from a Mustang guy, why the hell wouldn't you weld the axle tubes if you are planning on beating the crap out of the axle on the trails. Welding the tubes is a common mod for mustangs. Its amazing to me that you guys are breaking so many axles and housings when I've seen guys put 500-600 lb-ft of torque on 31 spline 8.8's doing repeated 4000-5000rpm clutch drops on slicks and dead hooking.

Knowing very little about jeeping, but plenty about mechanics, I'd say an 8.8 with 31 or 33 splines, welded axle tubes, and a decent homemade truss would do wonders.

i don't even have to see the picture.

First thing you do with the 8.8 is weld those tubes. Every person I told i was gonna do it before i did the mod told me to weld 'em up.

and thats what i did and no rotating pumkins for me!

Cheers!

Cipey

Back