• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A little Fun on Sledge this weekend

Captain Ron said:
Being behind you, I was thinking "Please God, don't let the intern break." :D

First time out on Sledge is a buzz. Looks like you did good zjguy.

Kinda hard for me to tell about the trail. Since Phil's run and the November run, I was on it on 33's and it was a roadway. I figure anytime you can get a group of 4 on 33's thru Sledge in time to run another 2 trails, it must be easy. I don't think we stopped once on it. Last time with Dave, Rick, and Santa, it was looking a bit more torn up in spots, but on 37's and being familiar with the trail, it just seems hard to judge anymore.

--ron

Yeah, thats one of the things about Sledge (so I am told) it changes daily..

It was pretty torn up in a few spots, there was a group of Tin Benders out there running the trail in some Hendrix Buggys and Mike DUncan from 4xdr behind us running with a couple of employees, one of the guys blew up a warn premium which in turn took out his detroit in the front 60.. we had a guy in our groups Tommy Lee steering box blow a cap off it and had to be changed, another guy had a small fire by pinching his winch powerleads between the fender and tire.. but Overall it was pretty uneventfull

Being my 1st time out there I was pretty jazzed that I got my full -bodied ZJ through there with Basically NO damage.. only a small ding on the ds front fender, caused by my bumper slamming on a rock and pushing up on the fender slightly.. overall everything was good..

My steering was totally taxed by the end of they day though, the stock box just couldnt handle it, the fluid in the stock reservoir was cooked and the pump had cavatated so the fluid was full of bubbles and boiling.. its definitly time for a new box, pump and PS cooler.. that was probably my biggest issue.. Overall though it was a very memorable experience I was with the greatest bunch of people and everyone pitched in to help each other, it was just great.

I'll definitely be back, just not sure if it will be in my ZJ... its just too straight still and I cant go for beating it up that bad... maybe something TUBEY in the future...

zjmikey said:
Yeah, thats one of the things about Sledge (so I am told) it changes daily..

It was pretty torn up in a few spots, there was a group of Tin Benders out there running the trail in some Hendrix Buggys and Mike DUncan from 4xdr behind us running with a couple of employees, one of the guys blew up a warn premium which in turn took out his detroit in the front 60.. we had a guy in our groups Tommy Lee steering box blow a cap off it and had to be changed, another guy had a small fire by pinching his winch powerleads between the fender and tire.. but Overall it was pretty uneventfull

Being my 1st time out there I was pretty jazzed that I got my full -bodied ZJ through there with Basically NO damage.. only a small ding on the ds front fender, caused by my bumper slamming on a rock and pushing up on the fender slightly.. overall everything was good..

My steering was totally taxed by the end of they day though, the stock box just couldnt handle it, the fluid in the stock reservoir was cooked and the pump had cavatated so the fluid was full of bubbles and boiling.. its definitly time for a new box, pump and PS cooler.. that was probably my biggest issue.. Overall though it was a very memorable experience I was with the greatest bunch of people and everyone pitched in to help each other, it was just great.

I'll definitely be back, just not sure if it will be in my ZJ... its just too straight still and I cant go for beating it up that bad... maybe something TUBEY in the future...

Just call 805-550-3196 and ask for Mike. :D

Well done Mikey! Inspirational work to do it in a ZJ without damage. Santa was talking me into doing the Hammers back at Fall Fling but I was really doubtful. I've gotta do it now you've proved it can be done. I will have to wait until Summer 2008 after we've driven the Rubicon, fancy going again? I think I better add a RHD steering box to my onboard spares beforehand just in case.

Paul S said:
I can't remember how it was in September.

VV stacked it for F in the D in Oct., but they didn't go overbord with the stacken.
In early November it got stacked in a way that I have never seen a Hammer stacked. It was actually laughable how stacked it was.
IMO, since early November it has slowly been on track to what it use to be (less stacked) but still has a ways to go.

Anyway, good job Mike. I remember the first time I ran a Hammer (Sun Bonnet), I was on a high for weeks after.

Paul

Paul, it wasn't too bad. Much better than after VV got done and slightly better than it was over New Year's.

None of the piles of rocks are at the bases of the main obstacles with the only noteable exception being the crack on the left side at the plaque.

The second major obstacle after the mailbox is changing by the minute it seems. It was a fair bit of a riot at NY's with lots of stuff moved around and not in a make it easy way. The same stuff is there, but moved to easier spots without being stacked. Not much of a puzzle at all. And you can still drive out the end by staying a bit high right a few inches longer than you think you need to before you cut back down to the left.

I'd rate it a bit easier overall just due to the way it's changing and not because of stacking.

David Taylor said:
Two weeks ago it was super stacked. As easy as I've seen it. Rick made it on 35's no winch.

You mean it wasn't skill?? :bawl:
I leave for a week and come back to this??!!
I'm going back to Mexico....

Rick
:D

BTW I don't think ANYTHING was stacked after Santa went thru!!
:roflmao:

Back