• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple cage questions

Does this company have a website where I could see pictures of their cages? Or does anyone have pics? Thanks

Ary

Beezil said:
you better be damn sure that cage is really .090 fawker, our you'll get the lifetime bonehead award.

Does this look like .120 wall??
Thumb.asp

I may be a bonehead, but I ain't winning the lifetime achievement award......

Now if I just tack the cage together, and go to Moab for the Fall Fling 2004, then you can give me the lifetime award. And I won't blame it on my mom.

Rick

FarmerMatt said:
Come on Rick... We all know you blackmailed the poor guy & told him if he didn't upgrade you, you would say his cage is crap all over every internet site on the web. D&C, you have my sympathy for have to deals with guys out of Az. I think we should sell that state to Mexico.

Matt

You know, I'm not feeling the love here.....

Boy, I sure am glad I hired that Mexican farm hand to sneak into your garage every night and turn on your dome light.

Rick

Ok, I just dug out the dial micrometer and the loose pieces of tube Damien sold me measure a fairly consistent .112 -.115 - same with the spreader pieces he cut from some stock previous to that. So I guess I can assume my tubing is just fine??? Beez feel free to chime in here.....

I guess I'm to understand that when the steel manufacturer says the steel tube has a .120 wall that means it won't exceed that size? Seems to me none of us are getting what we think we are...... from the steel manufacturers that is.

Rick, I hope you're measuring with something better than that tape measure to make your claim. :twak: Using my tape measure, mine measures similar to yours in places.....

Do all of us a favor an borrow a micrometer and show us a more precise measurement. :guitar:

Last edited:
YELLAHEEP said:
Ok, I just dug out the dial micrometer and the loose pieces of tube Damien sold me measure a fairly consistent .112 -.115 - same with the spreader pieces he cut from some stock previous to that. So I guess I can assume my tubing is just fine??? Beez feel free to chime in here.....

I guess I'm to understand that when the steel manufacturer says the steel tube has a .120 wall that means it won't exceed that size? Seems to me none of us are getting what we think we are...... from the steel manufacturers that is.

Rick, I hope you're measuring with something better than that tape measure to make your claim. :twak: Using my tape measure, mine measures similar to yours in places.....

Do all of us a favor an borrow a micrometer and show us a more precise measurement. :guitar:

Alright, I borrowed a caliper measuring thing from a friend. It's a "manual" one. No fancy LCD readout or anything, and I'm not totally sure how to read it past hundreths, but I know my measurements are real close.

I found two pieces, one "a" pillar piece and one spreader bar that were OK.
Both were between .11-.12 on both ends.

All the rest of them measured anywhere from .09-.11.

Rick

I_1BADXJ_I said:
Emailed them for pics at 6:30

Got 13 pics by 7:15

Looks nice...

Robert

hey, share 'em with the rest of us....

FarmerMatt said:
Come on Rick... We all know you blackmailed the poor guy & told him if he didn't upgrade you, you would say his cage is crap all over every internet site on the web. D&C, you have my sympathy for have to deals with guys out of Az. I think we should sell that state to Mexico.

Matt

Didn't we already do that? Or was that just western Kansas?

FarmerMatt said:
We all know you blackmailed the poor guy & told him if he didn't upgrade you, you would say his cage is crap all over every internet site on the web.
Actually he didn't. When I found this thread I was in the middle of replying when Rick called me. I told him that I'd send him a new cage and arrange a pickup for the messed up one when he stated that he'd really like to go with DOM. So I made Rick the offer and he didn't waist any time agreeing.

I find it disturbing that the general assumption is that a vendor will weasle out of their obligations ~ but I don't. I'm a small 1.5 man shop in the middle of Colorado Springs. I don't pretend to do everything ~ but what I do, I do to the best of my ability. So if there is a problem that I'm responsible for, I fix it. No questions, no excuses.

Troy (YELLAHEEP), is a good example of this. He had to wait an additional day or two for his cage when I found that the rear spreaders were 1/4 to 1/2" off. Most people wouldn't notice it ~ but I did. And even though the cage was 100% welded in and finished. I borrowed Led's sawzall and cut it out to put in another. Ya, I was bummed to waist the cage and all that time ~ but it was the right thing to do. So it was done.

I_1BADXJ_I said:
Unforunately, they don't show much of the XJ cage...
Ya, I know ~ I'm a total slacker. Sorry. I'll upload that page as soon as I can.

Speaking of which ~ anyone/everyone who has a D and C cage ~ SEND ME PICTURES and I'll include them on the site.

Thanks ~
D

Beezil said:
I KNEW you measured with a tape measure!

what kind of barkeatin' bonehead measures wall thickness with a tape measure?

good gawd.

Hey Bonehead....BITE WOOD!

I guess you didn't take the time to read the WHOLE thread. If you did, you would have seen that I measured the tube again, without a tape measure.

I realize it's difficult for you to comprehend such a high-tech device as a tape measure, but believe me, they actually are accurate if you know how to count.

Rick

BTW, what the hell is a barkeater?

Rick XTRM XJ said:
I guess you didn't take the time to read the WHOLE thread. If you did, you would have seen that I measured the tube again, without a tape measure.

How do you measure something without a tape measure????? :rolleyes:

I realize it's difficult for you to comprehend such a high-tech device as a tape measure, but believe me, they actually are accurate if you know how to count.

How do you hold a tape measure and count with your fingers???

Rick

BTW, what the hell is a barkeater?

A thing that eats bark!

hinkley

kirby said:
Does this kit tie into the frame rails?

Kirby,

Yes - and - no.....

The basic roll cage kit mounts to 6 locations to the floor of the XJ. The pre-drilled front plates are designed to be mounted as far out toward the kick-panels as possible so that leg room is as unhindered as possible. These plates end up on the floor board just outside of the uni-frame rails. Damian (the maker of the cages) suggests building supports from the frame rails to the underside of the floor and sandwiching the mounting plate to the support. This is something that he doesn't provide with the kit.

The hoop behind the front seats mounts to the floor right on top of the uni-frame rails. The mounting plates have pre-drilled holes so that a person can bolt these down - or you can weld the plate to the floor. I'm thinking of making these plates a bit wider and using some square-ended "U" bolts going up around the frame rail into the mounting plates to bolt it down, then weld the plate to the floor.

The rear mounting plates also sit on top of the rear uni-frame rails. Bolting this down is a bit tricky because they end up right above the rear shackle frame brackets. To get bolts to work, you'd have to drop the rear spring/shackle to drill holes and attach bolts.

So, in more simple terms - If you get this cage and simply weld it down to the floor, all it's secured to is the floor. By adding bolts, you're gaining some attachment strength - but it depends upon what you've bolted it to.

Please understand that D&C's XJ roll cage kit is just a basic cage and certainly isn't the highest protection cage for severe roll overs. This isn't a "Jeep Speed" kind of cage. D&C's cage kit provides all the difficult pieces that are bent and fitted in such a fashion as to provide a decent starter cage with the least amount of interior space intrusion. Damian has done a great job in designing these cages for the XJ's but he certainly can't be expected to sell a mail-order cage that fits everyone's needs. Adding your own triangulation tubing and joint trusses will strengthen this cage to suit your individual needs.

As with buying anything using on-line or mail order, contact the manufacturer with your specific questions. Damian is a heck of a guy and will certainly do everything he can to assist you.

talk about your long winded answers jeesh :cheers:

Back