• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Issues... Again

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
Since the temperature has gotten to where I don't need cold A/C anymore, I havent used it in a while (about a month or two) and just noticed that the freon leaked out of the connections on the back of the compressor and from the expansion valve. Will a recharge later on when I need A/C again do the trick, or should I take more drastic measures?

Anybody?

Don't think that just because cold weather is here, that you don't need th A/C working. Your defroster kicks on the A/c to remove moisture from the air before blowing on the windshield. It's what really makes the defroster work faster. It might be a good idea to get it fixed. You might be lucky and just need to replace the o-rings.

Well, I'll give it a recharge and see what happens. But, when I do have the heat on, and the A/C does kit on, the compressor engages and I can hear the expansion valve hssing like it would when the A/C did work. But its a constant noise, rather than it going away and coming back. Not sure what to think about this anymore.

The system needs to be evacuated. Moisture has entered the system and when mixed with freon becomes corrosive, not to mention the moisture can freeze in the lines clogging up the expansion valve, etc. Replace all the O rings and check very well if the condensor is wet with oil, if it's even slighty wet forget it, just a waste of your money.

What year XJ? If it is the late models it could be the evap. Definately get a vacuum pulled on it because moisture can really do a number on it. If it is truly freon (R12) you'll want a vacuum anyway because you will replace with R13a and the two don't mix if moisture is part of the equation.

It's a 91. System has been converted to R134.

Back