• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressors

JTwthaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any difference between the a/c compressor on a '95 cherokee and a '98? I looked it up on advance auto parts website and it is two different part numbers. The reason I ask is my dad has a '95 and the clutch is going bad on the compressor, but I have found a '98 that has been totalled that would be a great parts jeep for cheap. Is it possible, and is it worth it? By the way its a '98 classic, and it was totalled on the left front corner, the engine, tranny, transfer case, interior, is all good, it has 5 inches of lift with 33s on it.

Thanks,

JT

JTwthaXJ said:
Is there any difference between the a/c compressor on a '95 cherokee and a '98? I looked it up on advance auto parts website and it is two different part numbers. The reason I ask is my dad has a '95 and the clutch is going bad on the compressor, but I have found a '98 that has been totalled that would be a great parts jeep for cheap. Is it possible, and is it worth it? By the way its a '98 classic, and it was totalled on the left front corner, the engine, tranny, transfer case, interior, is all good, it has 5 inches of lift with 33s on it.

Thanks,

JT
I know up through 96 they used a unit with separate lines connecting to the ports on the compressor. In 1997, they changed the way the lines connected to the compressor and how they entered through the firewall. Either way though, no it will not work without a lot of modification I don't believe. Figured I would add these pictures to show the difference...
Here is a 95's engine bay...
951.jpg

vs a 1997+
50650_2ecf7f86-3481-468a-ac11-72191.jpg

What I would do in your case, is swap the entire wiring harness and dash into your Dad's then the compressor would work. I know the way the compressor mounts to the bracket is the same because after 91 it was all that 4 bolt style compressor.

Last edited:
bump for good tech, it just helped me out. i had the exact question...

to make it come up quicker in a search:

air conditioning compressor bracket compatibility

Back