• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Compressor

Masty9

NAXJA Forum User
The clutch in my A/C Compressor is busted and I need to replace the whole unit. How difficult of a job is this? Would I be better off buying a new unit or would second hand be ok?

This is in my 1996 Jeep XJ 2WD 4.0L.

Any advice?

Entire procedure:
* have a certified AC shop evacuate the freon.
* loosen serpentine belt using the draw bolt and pulley clamp bolt on the idler below the power steering pump.
* remove serpentine belt
* disconnect the AC lines and clutch cable from the compressor
* remove the four bolts holding the compressor down, lift out, put new one in.
* reverse all above steps
* have system leak tested and charged.

If you get second hand, get it from a reputable salvage yard and make sure you get a warranty. Also remember that every time you swap another one in using that warranty you're going to end up paying for another recharge on the AC system unless the AC shop you use is nice about that.

EDIT: you might want to consider getting the receiver/dryer or whatever it is replaced at the same time, from what I've read they get screwed up if the system is leaky (if your system is not leaky, just a broken clutch, don't bother)

Entire procedure:
* have a certified AC shop evacuate the freon.
* loosen serpentine belt using the draw bolt and pulley clamp bolt on the idler below the power steering pump.
* remove serpentine belt
* disconnect the AC lines and clutch cable from the compressor
* remove the four bolts holding the compressor down, lift out, put new one in.
* reverse all above steps
* have system leak tested and charged.

If you get second hand, get it from a reputable salvage yard and make sure you get a warranty. Also remember that every time you swap another one in using that warranty you're going to end up paying for another recharge on the AC system unless the AC shop you use is nice about that.

EDIT: you might want to consider getting the receiver/dryer or whatever it is replaced at the same time, from what I've read they get screwed up if the system is leaky (if your system is not leaky, just a broken clutch, don't bother)

Clutch cable? Is that kin to muffler bearings?

Any idea how this would be done? Or where I can find instructions? Any ideas would be helpful.

Is it the clutch that is bad, or the clutch bearing?

Changing the bearing requires a press, and requires pulling the compressor. IIRC, the clutch can be swapped with out removing the refrigerant (R-134a, not freon) on the 96, and is pretty easy to do on a 96 with just a rental clutch puller tool from the local parts stores. I did one on a 96 back in 2002, as I recall with out disturbing the refrigerant.

I did the bearing and clutch on my 89 last week, and it took a complete pull of the compressor and hydraulic press for the bearing. The bearing was still good, but sounded very dry, new bearing sounded well greased.

Clutch cable? Is that kin to muffler bearings?
haha sorry, meant clutch wire - the single conductor wire that triggers the clutch. Guess it doesn't really qualify as a cable.

Back