• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressor clutch assembly bearing replacement

The clutch bearing is a propriatary bearing, I hope I spelled that right. Meaning its for Chryslers own use. I had to go through a bearing supply house and they intern had to go right to NSK. As I recall it was about $33 plus shipping.

At some point, it seems they went from a splined shaft to a keyed shaft on the compressor... not sure when or which way the transition was but :twak: DAMMIT CHRYSLER

Zuki Ron Where did you get this pulley and if so do ya have a part number?

Thanks,
Sam

It came off a Cherokee in the JY, though I imagine a bypass pulley for a 91 2.5L Wrangler will work also as they take the same AC mount.

I replied to your PM. Mike still has the pulley, and I'm sure that if you join back up, he can send it to you for the "Members Price" :D

At some point, it seems they went from a splined shaft to a keyed shaft on the compressor... not sure when or which way the transition was but :twak: DAMMIT CHRYSLER
That only affects the Clutch Plate, not the bearing. If you use an older bearing and pulley assembly it will swap over and will be rebuildable. See my thread on that.

I don't think it was Chrysler's fault as Sanden is the supplier of many a vehicle compressor; but let's blame Chrysler anyway ;)

That only affects the Clutch Plate, not the bearing. If you use an older bearing and pulley assembly it will swap over and will be rebuildable. See my thread on that.

I don't think it was Chrysler's fault as Sanden is the supplier of many a vehicle compressor; but let's blame Chrysler anyway ;)
Agreed... the problem is that in my case I need the pulley and clutch plate, not the bearing :( my bearing is doing great but the clutch plate is warped and liberally coated in rust, and the pulley has a decent amount of rust on it too.

Hopefully my donor compressor out of the 96 has a clutch plate that matches the stock compressor in my 98. I think the junkyard clutch I pulled came from a 99 or 01, so I have a chance still...

I would just like to thank Atl-Atl for the pics and the details you supplied every since I was a child and to this day I still destroy stuff to try and fix it and sometimes just to see how it works etc. Also thanks to everyone on this thread for the input, I have done many repairs to vehicles and thanks to this day and age I can check the internet and hope for something even close to this to help me out. Heck I never even attempted to add Freon to an ac yet I am about to attempt this task and I appreciate everyone's input.

I had to register to just to let you know how much I appreciate it now wish me luck as I make the attempt to find a clutch bearing and make the replacement...
Before I read this I was going to check into the complete compressor replacement and with the vacuuming and lubricants I was not sure I wanted to attempt it. :)

The clutch went out on my 2001 XJ, at 45K, just a couple days before a two week summer vacation. My wife said no way was she going without A/C.
The fastest fix was to buy another complete compressor and swap the clutch. This saved a bunch of cash too by not having to having to replace the dryer, having the A/C vacuumed and filled with oil and R138a.
Got a 150K on it now and it's still working fine.
Still married after 38 years, it's cheaper to keep them happy.

Furthermore I found a bypass pulley for the newer XJ's

Dorman Products #326-34237

Couldn't find it on their website but found it via google and ordered one from Jegs

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dorman/326/34237/10002/-1?CT=999

around 50bucks shipped

EDIT: Seems O'Reilly's has them also

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...&vi=1180404&keyword=bypass&pt=03861&ppt=C0328

Sorry to NECRO this thread, but RockAuto Parts has the Dorman-sourced Part# 34171 for $29.79, before S&H and any applicable State Sales Tax, for 1991-1995 Jeep 4.0L applications. Just thought I'd bring it up...;)

Last edited:
Anyone know a good source of the clutch kit? Only one I can find is a company in Tennessee, which might be fine but I'd like to see some options...
Otherwise, it's a $200 Denso compressor for me.

Back