• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C charging?

tgoff- I found that Johnsons Freeze 12, but the site said I had to be EPA 609 Licensed??? Its only $5.99 though. Damn it.

If anybody here is EPA 609 certified (whatever that is) would you want to buy it,but have it mailed to me and I'll mail you a money order?? I'm kinda kidding...

ok but seriously, want to?? ;)

EDIT: I'm an idiot...found it on ebay in 2 seconds.

Last edited:
tgoff said:
Why convert to R-134a when you can use Freeze 12 refrigerant a cheap legal R-12 replacement. Its called Johnson's Freeze 12 and it works great probably better than R-134a and you don't have to buy all those fittings just 1 hose to hook up to your R12 system. Might want to check it out.

According to this website http://www.allpar.com/eek/ac.html, Freeze-12 is R-134a with different additives to minimize the oil compatibility issues. It's that's true, you'll see a big drop in cooling capacity unless you are doing a true conversion.

dizzymac said:
I was told that XJ's are considered station wagons (by Mopar).
I think this is true but it goes back to AMC days. Since there was no SUV category for vehicle registration back in 1985 they were registered under station wagons. I have an 86 and its registered as a station wagon throught the DMV

As for freeze 12 it does say to add 10% less coolant than the R-12 charge but I noticeed no difference in coolant performance. As far as I'm concerned the old R-12 XJ's have the best AC around at least way better than Toyota, Ford, and GM that I've experienced.

Back