• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ AW4 Neutral Safety Switch Adjustment

The Badness

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 jeep XJ with the AW4 trans...I am trying to replace my NSS...could anybody guide me as to proper adjusting of the switch? Pictures or articles would be a great help...thanks!

When I re-installed mine on my 98 I tightened it too much and the shifter was more difficult to move. I did one or two adjustments and just tried to replicate the original amount of resistence. That was a year ago and it's been perfect ever since. I did not have a problem with it starting outside of park or neutral.

...could anybody guide me as to proper adjusting of the switch? Pictures or articles would be a great help....

Install the NSS. Snug the large nut and finger tighten the small bolt. Block the tires so the Jeep won't move, with the engine OFF, put the transmission in Reverse. Slowly twist the NSS back and forth, note the position of the NSS when the backup lights turn on and turn off, put the NSS in the middle of these two points and gently tighten up the NSS nut and bolt.

NSS clean and adjust -> http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

Mine was completely plug and play on my 98....no "calibration" needed.

"Even a broken clock gets to be right twice a day"

You were lucky, go buy a lottery ticket.

Install the NSS. Snug the large nut and finger tighten the small bolt. Block the tires so the Jeep won't move, with the engine OFF, put the transmission in Reverse. Slowly twist the NSS back and forth, note the position of the NSS when the backup lights turn on and turn off, put the NSS in the middle of these two points and gently tighten up the NSS nut and bolt.

This is how I did mine, and it worked great.

Just wish the whole trans didn't blow up one week after I installed it ......

I just took my NSS off and started to clean it up.I took the gasket off and was gently winping it and the damn thing ripped.Now what the hell am I going to do?Can I go to the auto parts store to get another one?

I just took my NSS off and started to clean it up.I took the gasket off and was gently winping it and the damn thing ripped.Now what the hell am I going to do?Can I go to the auto parts store to get another one?

RTV?

Make a gasket--any parts store will have small rolls of various materials for sale.

I've used old inner tubes, file folders, whatever is handy when you really, really need a gasket.

I was thinking of maybe rtv???Sorry you all probobly think I am an idiot but I have never really been much of a mechanic.I am just starting so Sorry.

NEVER apologize, it is a sign of weakness.

Sorry, didn't mean to shout at you. :patriot:

People here appreciate those that search first (so many questions get asked time and again), but asking is the best way of learning. Even if you ask a real easy question most won't be too hard on you (its mostly ribbing in fun) in the OEM tech section. When you get to the more advanced forums people naturally expect you to have a higher knowledge/skill level.

Search, read, and if it isn't clear then post your question--we don't bite (much)!

I took the nss off yesterday and when I got home today I started cleaning it and lubing and then put it all back together.I was really excited when it fired up without having to jiggle the shifter.Now I have to figure out how to get the key out of the ignition.(weekend project).Thanks to all for the advice.I am a beginner mechanic and I thought it was very easy.

thanks for the info (just read this thread) I now have some repairs to do this weekend....I hate driving the junk around and having to let it "rest" before going anywhere else

I got lucky on my old jeep then! :dunno:

:laugh:

I just had my 01 start doing this yesterday so I jumped on here and read this thread and a couple others. Got it apart, cleaned, back together and on. When I went to adjust it, the reverse light stayed on the whole length of the available movement... :dunno:

So, I thought of your post and kind of left it in the middle and figured maybe I'd get lucky too hehe. It worked. :yelclap: XJ operates like it's supposed to... starts in the positions it's supposed to start, doesn't start in the positions it's not supposed to.. and the reverse lights come on when it's in R and turn off when it's not :D

So I'm calling it good haha.

Thanks to all that provided info in this thread.

Rob

Back