• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 XJ adding '98 WJ overhead console

+2 lol i have worked in that area before and never seen any wiiring or anything anyone have a write up on this or any pics? they are selling gc overheads for 40 bucks and i would love that info for my jeep. hope yall cal answer

You can fit a Grand overhead console into an XJ but, the only features that will work are the compass and the temp readout. The XJ and Grands have non-compatible computer systems that speak different languages.

Any 1997 to- 2001 XJ overhead console will fit and function in a 1997 - 2001 XJ (the connections are there waiting for you to plug and play). There are some minor variations in the wire harness for each model year that can be worked around to make the console function.

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
You can fit a Grand overhead console into an XJ but, the only features that will work are the compass and the temp readout. The XJ and Grands have non-compatible computer systems that speak different languages.

Any 1997 to- 2001 XJ overhead console will fit and function in a 1997 - 2001 XJ (the connections are there waiting for you to plug and play). There are some minor variations in the wire harness for each model year that can be worked around to make the console function.

is this definitely true ?

i want an overhead for just the compass and temp, i really dont care about the other stuff, how hard is it to connect a grands to an XJ ?

any specifc year of grand ? just ZJ style ?

brak,
I did some more looking through my console stuff and a ZJ console looks and fits good in the XJ but the ONLY function that will work is the compass. The the ZJ doesn't use a temp sensor like the XJ does it gets its temp info from the engine management computer.

XJ Trip Computer functions: Compass and Temperature display, Trip Odometer, Average Fuel Economy, Instantaneous Fuel Economy, Distance To Empty, Elapsed Time and also a US/Metric display option.

Tim_MN said:
brak,
I did some more looking through my console stuff and a ZJ console looks and fits good in the XJ but the ONLY function that will work is the compass. The the ZJ doesn't use a temp sensor like the XJ does it gets its temp info from the engine management computer.

thanks for the info man.

i guess it's back to looking for a bargain on an XJ one.

Just for clarification, is this a ZJ overhead console or a WJ overhead console. You title and previous posts mention a '98 WJ. 1999 was the first model year for the WJ...

Markos said:
Just for clarification, is this a ZJ overhead console or a WJ overhead console. You title and previous posts mention a '98 WJ. 1999 was the first model year for the WJ...

The first post must be a mistype, or he was misinformed as to what console he was getting, and just got lucky. He definitely does not have a Grand overhead if everything works. WJ console won't fit an XJ they are completely different.

This is true.
Tim_MN said:
brak,

XJ Trip Computer functions: Compass and Temperature display, Trip Odometer, Average Fuel Economy, Instantaneous Fuel Economy, Distance To Empty, Elapsed Time and also a US/Metric display option.

OK, here's the poop: a 93-95 ZJ console WILL correctly display compass and temp reading. The earlier ZJ consoles do in fact have an input for the external temp sensor hookup just like the XJ.
The 96-98 ZJ DO NOT have the ability to hook up an external temp sensor and therefore will only be able to display the compass.

The easiest way to tell the two different styles apart by just the external appearance is the 93-95 ZJ console will have the keyless infra-red (IR) receiver 'bubble' on the console while the 96-98 ZJ consoles have a radio frequency (RF) keyless entry system, no IR bubble.

Both styles of ZJ console WILL NOT properly display any computer/mileage functions in the XJ.

Back