• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ stalling, just started

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with a 178K and today was the first time it has stalled. It starts right up and the idle is fairly smooth, zero hesitation when I give it gas but as soon as I let off the gas it starts to sputter and die. If I give it more gas then it will be fine but once it goes back down to idle it dies. It will start right back up and idle fine as long as I don't take the RPM's up. I did notice a weird tapping sound coming from the passenger side of the engine, not sure where exactly it was coming from though. The gas gauge likes to take its time reading anything too. After a few min it will read normally but the needle takes a few mins to move. It has been sitting for a while but I have been letting it run. The gas that is in there has been in the tank since last Aug. The breaks went out then and I have been slowly fixing them so I don't know if bad gas can cause something like this to happen.

You may have a marginal battery. Especially if the vehicle sat for a few months with no charging of the battery. Stalling is a pretty common symptom of a marginal battery. And yes, you can have a battery strong enough to start the engine, but marginal enough to create stalling. Get your battery LOAD TESTED. Any parts store will do this for you for free.

Also be sure that your tuneup hardware is fresh. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

Cleaning of your idle air control and throttle body is NEVER a bad idea.

Testing of your throttle position sensor would also be recommended if the above doesn't isolate this.

I put a new battery in last week but I also noticed the cables seemed a little loose on the terminals. The cap and rotor are a few years old but I completely forgot to check the plugs. I will start with the battery cables and go on down the list. Thanks.

I put a new battery in last week but I also noticed the cables seemed a little loose on the terminals. The cap and rotor are a few years old but I completely forgot to check the plugs. I will start with the battery cables and go on down the list. Thanks.

Loose connection = problems.

And while you are at it, clean both the battery cables and the battery posts until both are SHINY. Do not underestimate the importance of electrical connections..........

Let us know what you find!

I will. It will take a few days though since we are expecting a nice ice storm and I have been cleaning out the mess that some vandals did. They put a coke can through my passenger side rear vent window and stole my Hella 500's. The jokes on them with the lights though because they were busted and I had yet to put the new ones on.

Back