• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ 4.0 p1694 getting spark

whodatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Got Heep back after getting aftermarket motor replaced under warranty. Do not get and ATK motor. But that's another story.

Was running better than the day I bought it. But dip$hit mechanics had cracked my forward fuel line and idler pulley bearing had failed. So didn't drive it much for a month or so.

Finally was driving over to my shop to get to work when it died. Cranked a couple more times and she tried to turn over but then got the click click click of a dead battery.

Turned out the shop that installed my motor did not connect the alternator ground to the block. I know. I know. Different story, though.

Fast forward: got the battery charged, tested and is good, fuel line replaced, getting 49 psi at the rail, but still no start.

Start investigating ignition.

Test CrankPS for resistance and it reads open and getting spark and the secondary coil cable. So I'm feeling good. Bench test coil and it checks out with the service manual's specified resistances.

Check dizzy cap/rotor. They're totally charred. Change them, plugs and wires.

No start.

Change coil because it is the original, a little cracked, the spark was not completely blue.

No start.

Pulled cap again made sure everything was making good connections, found rotor at the 10-11 o'clock position. Thus I test the CamPS for voltage per service manual, albeit with a digital voltmeter (why does it have to be analog?) and it reads 5.1 volts (5 is the specified).

Reset PCM. Still no start.

Got a code reader and it spits out p1694 - as I've read a bad CrankPS can throw this even though it points to a no bus which is more directly related to the powertrain control module (pcm) and/or wiring harness.

So got an inline spark tester. Connected to two different wires for spark at the plugs and it SEEMS that there is spark. That is, the tester does light up with a solid spark. But, emPHAsis on SEEMS because I've never checked for spark and am not sure what to look for in terms of frequency etc. The spark I am getting at the plugs occurs maybe every "ONE-1000" counts or so. Is that correct when it's trying to start?

So, I'm confident enough in spark at the plugs at that point (unless y'all tell me otherwise). So, that "rules out" the CrankPS even though I know it's the most common.

I should also note that all my gauges are reading correctly. And I'm pretty sure I checked all the right fuses.

Still no start. Checked all grounds. Turns out the previous shop didn't connect the back of the block to the firewall either. A$$hats. Fixed that. Nothing.

Next, pull a plug to see if it's wet. It's not. So, I'm doubting the fuel injectors are spraying. PCM runs that right?

But, I'm still only getting a p1694 so off to pull a part to grab a PCM off a '99.

Swap the brainboxes. Pull codes and it has some old ones. Reset PCM. Pull codes again and get only p1694 (this also verifies my reset procedure). So, it wasn't the PCM. Unless that one was bad too.

So now, I'm debating whether to try a new CrankPS this afternoon or call it and tow it into to this local auto electric guy.

I really don't want to give up. But I also want my Heep back.

Thoughts?

Seems like you've confirmed it's got spark. What about fuel? Having good pressure at the rail does not mean the injectors are firing. You should buy/rent/borrow a noid light to test injectors to make sure they're firing before you move on to other potential causes.

Can't do any testing until this evening.

I'm fairly certain the injectors are not firing because my plugs are dry.

And, I'm even more certain now that you've confirmed that I've confirmed spark and I've got 49 psi at the rail.

In the meantime I will also note that I tested the resistance of each fuel injector and they all read about the same - 12.4-12.7 ohms - leading me to believe they're all good (they couldn't all have gone bad and ended up with the same resistance could they?)

I've visually checked the male and female pin connections on C1, C2 & C3 at the PCM. They look fine. No corrosion, etc. I've not checked the connections at the TCM.

From this thread, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63167&highlight=p1694, I found the following test:

This comes from Mitchell manuals on-line.

"DTC P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.
Faulty TCM.

Diagnostic Procedure
1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and speedometer do not operate properly, see appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.

So I guess I need to do that.

Trouble is, I have a problem right off the bat with step number 1 in that I can't start my heep and let it idle for 2 minutes.

Deeper thought about that leads me to the question:

Will a DTC p1694 cause the injectors not the inject?

Thoughts?

Headed home to tinker now.

With a P1694 or P1698, suspect a faulty CPS or CPS wire harness. Lazy mechanics often fail to remove the CPS when swapping engines or transmissions, and a small bump can be enough to damage the CPS.

When the CPS short circuits the engine computer (PCM) shuts down to prevent damage to itself. As a result, there is no communication (P1694).

Read these:
-http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63167
-http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_code_p1694_mean_for_a_2000_Jeep_Cherokee

P1694 Fault In Companion Module. No CCD/J1850 bus messages received at the power train control module (PCM) from the AisinWarner Transmission Control Module (TCM).

P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
-CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
-CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
-Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.
-Faulty TCM

P1698 No CCD Messages Received From PCM. Bus communication failure to PCM. A "Companion DTC" was set in both the ECM and PCM.

Possible Causes:
- Faulty Engine control Module (ECM)
- Engine control Module(ECM) harness is open or shorted
- Engine control Module (ECM) circuit poor electrical connection

Disconnect your crankshaft position sensor then put the ignition key in the on position. If the instrument cluster starts to work once the CPS is disconnected, then you know the CPS or CPs wires are shorted. You can verify this by testing the CPS and checking continuity on the CPS wires.

P1694 Diagnostic Procedure
1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and speedometer do not operate properly, see appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.

Last edited:
Back