• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 SE Build Thread

Thanks for all the nice comments guys...

Starboard M said:
Your back doesnt look like it has very much flex. I know they are new packs and all, but they should have a bit more then that.
Did you take off the rear sway bar? That would help a lot right there.

Yeah I ditched the rear swaybar... I think it just needs to break in a bit. The rear shocks are a bit short with the stock mounts on the axle so when I get the 44 ready, I'll move the mounts up about 2-3" too.

Stage 1 complete.

Stage 2:
4.10's F&R
ARB front
some kind of locker or LS in rear
OBA with small tank
Front winch bumper w/ my new winch in it
Rear tire carrier

Great looking rig. Nice write up too. I'm curious about the performance of those re-treads. When you airdown what are the chances that the tread will seperate? I read the info on the site and they didn't say much about offroad performance. Have you run them before? Keep us up to date?

Thanks
Bill

AREYOULIVING said:
Great looking rig. Nice write up too. I'm curious about the performance of those re-treads. When you airdown what are the chances that the tread will seperate? I read the info on the site and they didn't say much about offroad performance. Have you run them before? Keep us up to date?

Thanks
Bill

Hey Bill- those retreads are great off road. I have had 2 sets of the 31" OTR muds and I have aired them down to about 10 psi on several occasions with no problems. The only way the tread will separate is if they get too hot (like running down the freeway on a 100+ degree day @ 75mph). I have never had a problem with the caps separating. The rubber seems to stick to rocks well and they are pretty good in the mud too (although I hate mud). Noise level is less than other Les Schwab muds I have run before. I only balanced the first set. The second set and this current set dont ahve any balancing weights. they run pretty true and balanced... After running these, I dont ever plan on buying brand name tires in 31" size ever again. I'm pretty happy with them...

racer32 said:
Thanks for all the nice comments guys...

Yeah I ditched the rear swaybar... I think it just needs to break in a bit. The rear shocks are a bit short with the stock mounts on the axle so when I get the 44 ready, I'll move the mounts up about 2-3" too.

Stage 1 complete.

Stage 2:
4.10's F&R
ARB front
some kind of locker or LS in rear
OBA with small tank
Front winch bumper w/ my new winch in it
Rear tire carrier
Right on. You didnt mention anything about the sway bar, so I didnt know for sure. Go out and flex the back out a lot, by forcing it to flex, or keep the front sway bar on. Maybe find some sand bags, or so really heavy friends. Orrrr, a whole bunch of cheerleaders. Should help the ride as well once the springs are broken in.

Side note, what did the gov issue come with. You mentioned no frills, but what makes it different then say a lower model?

Starboard M said:
Right on. You didnt mention anything about the sway bar, so I didnt know for sure. Go out and flex the back out a lot, by forcing it to flex, or keep the front sway bar on. Maybe find some sand bags, or so really heavy friends. Orrrr, a whole bunch of cheerleaders. Should help the ride as well once the springs are broken in.

Side note, what did the gov issue come with. You mentioned no frills, but what makes it different then say a lower model?

Well hopefully I can find some cheerleaders that like 30 something semi bald dudes :laugh3:

Its just an SE model. Vinyl seats, am/fm radio, manual locks and windows... it does have gauges though which is good...

Back