• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 cherokee

redriverhugh

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I have been reading and searching posts here for quite awhile. I recently sold my 84 CJ7 and bought a 98 Cherokee sport. So far I have acquired a 6 1/2 lift from iron rock off road in Minnesota. Its a 3 link system. With it I also picked up a SYE and a CV rear driveshaft.. Today I picked up 7 {I am building a trailer also] 15 x8 steel wheels. I already have 7 35 BFG mud terrains. Next week the 4.56 gears should arrive along with a couple of steel shims for the rear diff and some yukon axles for the 8.25.Come payday a detroit locker for the rear will be ordered locally. I also have a warn 8000 winch and a buddy is selling me his bumpers off his XJ. He is a millwright and can really make em. I think the rubicon flares offered on this site will find there way to my place too. The law here is very picky about wheel coverage.There is also a big wish list but the old wallet has to recover a bit. Thanks a lot there has been a lot of really useful stuff on this site. It will be hopefully in and out of my garage in 3 or 4 weeks and I will post up a picture at that time.

Thats not a 3-link,welcome to the "Chuckee-Cheese" of lifts!

blackxj004.jpg

heres a shot of the 98, still needs flares, bumpers, winch and a few more things installed to make it trailworthy

With the semi float axle shaft such as a 8.25, they need to suport the weight of the vehicle as well as survive rotational forces, so they need to be able to flex. From what I have read, 4340 is more brittle than 1541 and doesn't flex as much, while 1541 may loose a little in hardness, its more forgiving while still being stronger than a stock axle.

Back